Cant boot jetson Nano

Hi,
My first day with the Jetson Nano. Follwed instructions up to the point where the USB cable form board to computer should make the computer recognize an additional COM port.
Well, it doesn’t. On two different machines, on Linux and Windows on each machine.
Connected my Phoone to the cable - Computer recognized it immediately, so the Cable is OK.
Where do I go? What am i doing wrong? I have transferred the contents of the ZIP file to the Microsim, of course.
Help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Shalom.elkin@gmail.com

Are you using an external USB serial cable? Are you using the micro-USB port with just a USB cable? When you say it isn’t “recognized”, can you give details on what you are expecting, e.g., to show up as mass storage? More details on how you are wiring this and what result you are looking for would help.

Hi,
I was in bed (time zone difference) when your message came in. This is a glorious November morning.
Here is a summary of what I did:
downloaded the developers kit to my Linux laptop, and copied it - as instructed in the manual - to the micro sd using unzip | dd.
jumpered #48
connected a usb cable to the Board’s connector and to the Laptop USB port. It is, of course, a SERIAL connection (that’s what the S in USB stands for). Before connecting to the board, I plugged the cable to my phone, which has the same connection (the Micro, NOT usb-c) , and it was recognized instantaneously by the laptop : ergo, the cable is Ok.
following the manual, I ran the dmesg command (I am on Fedora 33)
root@pashosh mnt]# dmesg | grep tty
[ 0.143736] printk: console [tty0] enabled
[ 6.957746] systemd[1]: Created slice system-getty.slice.

Then I plugged the power - the Green led came on. Connected the USB cable, waited , and ran the dmesg again. The manual says I should see another (Virtual?) COM port over USB, which I should connect to with putty.

Nothing . The same display.
Rebooted the Laptop (it is a Dual boot) to windows. Went to device manager .A Single COM port appears there, with the application complaining it can’t find a driver. This is BEFORE I connected the Cable.
Connected the Cable: Nothing Changed.

The usual suspects:
Cable? well, This cable connects my phone to the Laptop with no problem.
Maybe the Software on the SD Card? I SUSPECT the board firmware (“Bios”…) manages the emulation of a COM port over the USB, so the SD shouldn’t matter at this time. Nevertheless, I pulled it out, reconnected it to the laptop, mounted it (under severe complaints…) and got the following structure using gparted (see attachment). The multiple small partitions before partition #1 bother me a little, but who am I to judge. Maybe this is what is required. The partition has what looks like a linux distro (see below), with a “meaningful” README:

shalom@pashosh mnt] ls -l** **total 104** **drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Oct 8 07:32 bin** **drwxr-xr-x. 4 root root 4096 Oct 19 18:25 boot** **drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Oct 19 18:59 dev** **drwxr-xr-x. 145 root root 12288 Oct 19 18:59 etc** **drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Apr 24 2018 home** **drwxr-xr-x. 21 root root 4096 Oct 19 18:24 lib** **drwx------. 2 root root 16384 Oct 19 18:59 lost+found** **drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Aug 6 2018 media** **drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Apr 26 2018 mnt** **drwxr-xr-x. 4 root root 4096 Oct 19 18:24 opt** **drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Apr 24 2018 proc** **-rw-rw-rw-. 1 root root 62 Oct 16 22:44 README.txt** **drwx------. 2 root root 4096 Apr 26 2018 root** **drwxr-xr-x. 17 root root 4096 Oct 8 07:35 run** **drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Oct 8 07:32 sbin** **drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 May 11 2018 snap** **drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Apr 26 2018 srv** **drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Apr 24 2018 sys** **drwxrwxrwt. 2 root root 4096 Oct 19 18:59 tmp** **drwxr-xr-x. 12 root root 4096 Oct 19 18:55 usr** **drwxr-xr-x. 19 root root 4096 Oct 19 18:57 var** **[shalom@pashosh mnt] cat README.txt
Download and extract the sample filesystem to this directory.
[shalom@pashosh mnt]$

is this “good”? Maybe , I don’t know.
Tried the whole cycle again, on a “desktop” computer, both Linux and Windows. Nothing.

What gives? Did I get a DOA unit? How can i diagnose it if I just can’t connect to it?

Thanks,

Shalom Elkin
I S R A E L

Hi,

R E S O L V E D

I don’t know how, but I resolved it.
Connected HDMI screen and keyboard, did initial setup
connected a Network Cable to the jetson, opened an SSH session. No USB Cable.
All is well. No more excuses - TO work !

Thanks,

Shalom ELkin