Cant build examples on Vista 64

I am trying to build the example files on a Vista 64 system.

I have everything installed, but get build error that I have not been able to get around:

nvcc fatal : Visual Studio configuration file ‘(null)’ could not be found for installation at ‘C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/VC/bin’

I get this error when building for a Win32 target. x64 mode just skips the build.

I am using VC++ 2005 Express Edition

Please help!

I am having the same problem and kind of wonder if its even possible to compile CUDA apps on my system at this time. I am using a GTX 260 card, so I need CUDA 2.0. It needs cl version 7 or 8 to run. I am running Vista 64 and Visual C++ Express 2005 only comes with the 32 bit compiler. The commercial version of Visual Studio can compile 64 bit programs, but 2005 was replaced with 2008 and that uses cl version 9, which is not compatible with nvcc. I am not quite sure of how to put the pieces together to make a working system. I might just need to put Linux on a drive and go from there.

Are you using the 64-bit or 32-bit toolkit and SDK?

You should install the 32 bit toolkit and SDK. Actually, you only need the 32 bit toolkit to get up and running. If it refused to install on the 64 bit Vista, just install it in a 32 bit machine and copy the whole dir.
You will need then A) setup the correct environment vars
B) run nvcc with the -m32 option

Cheers!

That did the trick for me.

Thanks

Nifty, it seems to be an undocumented feature that the vista64 cuda can build and run 32-bit cuda code.

For those who need/want to compile x64 executables, VS 2005 express cannot do it. You need to install the actual VS 2005 (f you are a student, you can download for free from microsoft dreamspark). With this installed, selecting the x64 project configuration works just fine.

Hi,

Could you help me out with what env variables I would need to change?

Thanks!