Can't run python sample

I get an error importing something called carb.

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘carb._carb’

The sample is time_stepping.py and the line that triggers the error is:
File “simple/time_stepping.py”, line 2, in
from omni.isaac.synthetic_utils import OmniKitHelper

Any ideas?

Hi,

Could you describe step by step how you set up and ran the example following the Getting Started doc?

I can’t install anaconda so I made sure all the packages it would have requested are available. I moved into the isaac python samples directory. I ran “sudo -E python3 setup.py install”. I sourced the get_env.sh. I ran the python sample and I got that error.

Hi,

Setup the environment and run the script using the Isaac Sim’s python

source setenv.sh
/isaac-sim/_build/target-deps/kit_sdk_release/_build/target-deps/python/bin/python3 simple/time_stepping.py
1 Like

Numpy is not installed for that python and I get an import error. I tried using the sims pip3 and it can’t find the interpretor:
bash: …/_build/target-deps/kit_sdk_release/_build/target-deps/python/bin/pip3: /buildAgent/work/a82dccf40b1041a3/python-build/_build/python36/bin/python3.6: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Always you can do this:

cd /isaac-sim/_build/target-deps/kit_sdk_release/_build/target-deps/python

bin/python3 -m pip install --upgrade pip
bin/python3 -m pip install numpy

Does this mean that Isaac SDK is meant to be used with the python packaged with the sim always?

I don’t quite understand this question.
But as far as I know Isaac Sim and Isaac SDK are two different products.

I suppose what I mean is, can I control the simulator using my system’s python and not using the bundled python?

All I want to do is specify a simple scene in python, position the camera in python, take a render, and display in matplotlib. But now the internal python that comes packaged with omniverse sim doesn’t have tkinter. So I’m a bit confused as to what the workflow is supposed to be.

Ideally, I’d like to do all this from a Jupyter notebook. I want to start a notebook. In one cell, start the sim. In another cell, create the geometry. In another cell capture the images I want.

Is this possible? I tried attaching Jupyter to the internal python, but then the env variables don’t get sourced. So how is this python api supposed to be used usually.

To try to answer your last question, I would like to know what version of python you are using when you execute python3 as you described here:

Also, could you show all your python versions by writing python and pressing TAB key?

My output is:
python python3.8d python3-dbg
python2 python3.8-dbg python3-dbg-config
python2.7 python3.8-dbg-config python3d-config
python3 python3.8d-config python3-futurize
python3.8 python3-config python3-pasteurize
python3.8-config python3d

Hi,

I asked you about the python version because it seems that the reason you can’t run Isaac Sim with the system python is that you don’t have version 3.6.

The computer (where I am running Isaac Sim) has three versions of Python: 2.7, 3.6 and 3.8. By default, the Python interpreter I have is version 3.8.

python              python2-futurize    python2.7-config    python3.6-config    python3.8-config
python-config       python2-pasteurize  python3             python3.6m          python3m
python2             python2-qr          python3-config      python3.6m-config   python3m-config
python2-config      python2.7           python3.6           python3.8

However, it is only with version 3.6 that I can launch Isaac Sim. With the other two versions, I get the same problem as in your initial question.

source setenv.sh
python3.6 simple/time_stepping.py

It seems to be Isaac Sim is python3.6 dependent. However, the Isaac Sim team (@ltorabi @Sheikh_Dawood @HaiLocLu @Hammad_M) can provide you with more information about that…

Then, you can install python3.6 in your system and use it to set up tkinter, Jupyter notebook, launch Isaac Sim, etc…

2 Likes