Cards with Optimus functions in Fedora linux after Bumblebee repo is no more available

Hi folks,

I have an old laptop that had been working really fine.
It has a Geforce GT 630M card and has Nvidia Optimus.
But after I updated to Fedora 36, I realized that Bumblebee repo is no more maintained and there is no repo for Fedora 36.
I’d like to have a help to solve the issue, once the computer keeps at 80ºC when there is no work load, where the normal would be between 50ºC and 60ºC.

I have been using KDE X11 and the driver version is the 470.
Below more information about the discrete and integrated GPU
lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 620M/630M/635M/640M LE] (rev a1)

When I was using F35 I used to get the same temp behavior if I stopped the Bumblebee service, and the temp would return to “normal” when I restarted the service.

I tried to set to hybrid or integrated GPU (Intel) only, following the following tutorial: How to Install NVIDIA Driver & Switch Between Intel Graphics in Fedora 36 - FOSTips
However, the temperature kept high… I also tried to set Nvidia card only but it didn’t work either.

Since this is a Fermi based gpu, 390 would be the correct driver.
Using bumblebee+bbswitch would be the prefered solution for Fermi chips but I guess vanilla bbswitch won’t compile against a FC36 6.0 kernel.
Actually, I think you should rather switch distro to ubuntu or arch, where bumblebee/bbswitch is still maintained and supported. Fedora rather aims towards new hardware.
Furthermore, you should clean your cooling system, 50/60°C is not normal without gpu usage.

Thanks for your reply @generix !
I gave up on Fedora 36 and downgraded to F35 which bumblebee is still maintained… I’ll keeping using Fedora for now because of some deadlines but I’ll definitely switch to Ubuntu when I have some time.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.