CUDA on a PC with an ATI card?

I want to install a NVIDIA card on my desktop PC in order to use CUDA for data elaboration but my PC already have an ATI video card installed.
I’d like to keep the ATI card for the display and use the NVIDIA card only for CUDA: is this configuration possible? or there may be some conflicts between the different cards?

The answer depends on which operating system you are using.

If you are using Linux, I’m pretty sure it’ll work (especially if you just work from a terminal and do away with X server).

If you’re using Windows 7…I think it should work (I’ll update you tomorrow, as I’ve ordered an ATI card for testing purposes and should be installing it tomorrow), but it depends on how ATI and nVidia have built their drivers (Windows 7 supports WDDM 1.1, which allows different graphics drivers to be loaded simultaneously).

If you’re using Windows XP or Vista…nope, it won’t work.

Oh, I forgot to mention it, I use Windows XP 32bit and according to profquail it won’t work… :(

Maybe it’s time to consider and OS upgrade…

Windows 7 is not that bad, except your CUDA programs will be slower… in my case it is about 20-30% performance loss… :(

That depends. Kernel launch overhead is larger with WDDM 1.1 so the performance hit will be noticeable if your app launches many short kernels. If there are fewer big kernels (ex. taking say more than 1-5 ms each) this extra overhead should be negligible.

If anyone is interested, I just confirmed that you can run cards from both vendors in a single system under Windows 7:

[url=“The Official NVIDIA Forums | NVIDIA”]The Official NVIDIA Forums | NVIDIA