Deepstream Python 1.1.0 Installation Steps are so complex

Hi Sir/Madam:

I am currently trying to install Deepstream Python 1.1.0 on Jetson NX dev kit.
So, I have already installed Deepstream 6.0 and it works.

I tried to follow the guidance on official github page, but I am getting confused. Several steps I don’t quite understand. I am wondering whether you can help.

On the page of HOW-TO, I tried to follow the steps inside.

There’s no problem of the pre-request session:

$ sudo apt-get install python-gi-dev
   $ export GST_LIBS="-lgstreamer-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0"
   $ export GST_CFLAGS="-pthread -I/usr/include/gstreamer-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include"
   $ git clone https://github.com/GStreamer/gst-python.git
   $ cd gst-python
   $ git checkout 1a8f48a
   $ ./autogen.sh PYTHON=python3
   $ ./configure PYTHON=python3
   $ make
   $ sudo make install

This part is same as the former versions.

But I started getting refused from next step.

Under the Deepstream python bindings step, here’s the webpage.
In step 2.2 Initialization of submodules. I don’t quite understand submodules you mean. After several times try, I guess I first need to clone deepstream_python_apps repo, and then do the git submodule update --init inside.

Next problem I found is, since I am located in mainland of China, git clone is usually not stable. So git submodule update --init always have problem.

Third problem: Now, I follow the step: Installing Gst-python. I remember that in the pre-request step, I have already installed Gst-python, I don’t quite understand why. But I am getting confused.
Then next step 2.4 - Deepstream SDK shows to install Deepstream SDK. I have already installed, but the steps of installation is like in reverse order. In most cases, people first install Deepstream SDK.

Now after I build the bindings with the following commends,

cd deepstream_python_apps/bindings
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make

I tried to run an python example but get failed, because system cannot find pyds. (I have already add the path).
In Deepstream 5.0, I see pyds.so is located in .../Deepstream5,0/lib/ folder, but here I searched for pyds.so folder, it is located in ...deepstream_python_apps/bindings/build and ...deepstream_python_apps/bindings/build/build/lib

Haha, I am confused again.

Now, I move back to HOW-TO page, with the section Running Sample Applications. The first sentence confused me again: Clone the deepstream_python_apps repo under <DeepStream 6.0 ROOT>/sources: git clone https://github.com/NVIDIA-AI-IOT/deepstream_python_apps.

So, I have already cloned this repo in build python binding step…

I am wondering whether you can help to make clear what exactly each step should be done to make Deepstream Python works, and make it simple. Cus, I mainly focus on using it, but has less knowledge of principles behind.

Thank you so much for your help.
Best
Yichao

Does below FAQ help?

1 Like

This is perfect! Sorry that I missed it. Many thanks to you.