Failed to setup CUDA 7.5 with GEFORCE 940MX

Hello all,

I am a newbie in parallel programming…
I’m using Window 10 with graphic card GEFORCE 940MX… when I tried to install CUDA 7.5 toolkit …it shows me the following error

“This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. You may continue installation. but you may not be able to run CUDA applications with this driver. This may occur with graphics hardware that is newer than this toolkit. In that case, it is suggested that you keep your existing driver and install the remaining portions of the CUDA Toolkit.”

Is it because 940MX is newer than this toolkit that’s why I encountered such error? If so, do you guys know is there any solutions for this?

Thank you.

Yes. The solution is to retain your current driver. You do this by deselecting the option in the CUDA 7.5 installer to install the driver, but let the CUDA 7.5 installer install the remaining pieces (toolkit, etc.)

In other words, do exactly what it says here:

This may occur with graphics hardware that is newer than this toolkit. In that case, it is suggested that you keep your existing driver and install the remaining portions of the CUDA Toolkit.

So it means… I can’t run any CUDA applications with the current driver?

Yes, you can. I thought you were trying to install the CUDA toolkit.

The current driver you have is fine. You want to retain that driver. i.e. keep it.

If you want to install the CUDA toolkit, use the CUDA 7.5 toolkit installer, but deselect the option to install the driver that is bundled with the CUDA toolkit installer - because you want to keep your current driver, that is already installed.

Your driver that you have already installed will work fine with CUDA 7.5 You don’t need a new driver.

@txbob
i am working with 940mx too.but when i get the infomation that “This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. You may continue installation. but you may not be able to run CUDA applications with this driver. This may occur with graphics hardware that is newer than this toolkit. In that case, it is suggested that you keep your existing driver and install the remaining portions of the CUDA Toolkit”.and i continue but when i in option step ,i got all “not avaiable”
is there any solution to handle that.
thanks in advance.

What driver version do you have installed? The latest WHQL driver is 368.39. The GeForce 940MX is a recent GPU based on Maxwell GM108, which has compute capability 5.0, so CUDA 7.5 should be able to run on it without issues.

I assume the system the GeForce 940MX is in is a laptop or notebook of some kind? If so, is that laptop / notebook generally able to run with NVIDIA’s generic drivers, or does it require drivers customized by the system vendor?

Hi, have you solved your problem? I also encountered such type of problem

Hi, have you solved your problem? I also encountered such type of problem

Hi, is this issue solved? I got the impression that it will not allow CUDA programming if this is not fixed.

There is no issue… if you have a graphics card that was released AFTER the CUDA toolkit you are attempting to install was released, you will get that warning. You can safely ignore it assuming you actually HAVE an NVIDIA GPU installed. /thread

So install the latest driver if it’s not installed already, and then install the CUDA toolkit WITHOUT selecting the driver it comes with.

I am also facing the same Issue with CudaTK 8. But Cuda toolkit 9 is easily installed with updated driver. But I am working on Tensorflow which has a very specific requirement of Cuda tk8 along with CuDNN 6. Which is throwing the same error, can any one give a suggestion or update which sort of deep learning framework will run in this configuration
GPU 940MX
windows 10 64 bit
Cuda Tool Kit 9
cuDNN 7(or any compatible version with CuTK9)
thanks a lot for the help.

I am also facing the same Issue with CudaTK 8. But Cuda toolkit 9 is easily installed with updated driver. But I am working on Tensorflow which has a very specific requirement of Cuda tk8 along with CuDNN 6. Which is throwing the same error, can any one give a suggestion or update which sort of deep learning framework will run in this configuration
GPU 940MX
windows 10 64 bit
Cuda Tool Kit 9

GPU 940MX
windows 10 64 bit
Cuda Tool Kit 9

GPU 940MX
windows 10 64 bit
Cuda Tool Kit 9

You can install CUDA 8. You don’t even need to change your driver if you already have cuda 9 installed. Run the CUDA 8 installer and decline the option to install the bundled driver. get older cuda toolkit installers from the cuda legacy toolkits page (google that)

Hi, I have 940MX, and I just wanna know if can run Octane Render on Cinema4D R19, I don’t want buy for nothing hhe