Freesync Black Flickers with 495.44 on GTX 1080

I’m Trying to use my Freesync feature on the 144hz monitor, while i play games or using the vrrtest utility the screen flickers black while in VRR range of 48-144hz. the blackouts are just 1-3 sec but can be really consistent or non for a few minutes. i tried downgrading to 470.82.00 which made the problem worse. 495.29.05 seems to produce a lot less flickers but are still existing. i tried setting custom hz to 120 but no change.

On Window with the latest available game ready driver i had no issues. neither between 48-144hz nor under it.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (680.8 KB)

I have this issue as well if the screen goes to sleep. I can fix it by changing the refresh rate to 120 and then back to 144hz.

This appears to be the same bug as this: NVIDIA 470.74 Breaks Gsync (Compatible) Support (Monitor Modulates between 0 or 144hz and Flickers black)

If anyone running Ubuntu has this issue, can you please click on the “Affects me” link on this bug I’ve raised: Launchpad Bug for Ubuntu

I’ve fixed my issues in Ubuntu 21.10, for any linux users experiencing a signal loss momentarily 1~2 seconds during changing of GPU accelerated program with NVDIIA with G-SYNC and Flipping enabled, in my case the issue was related to my user profile. I created a new user to test and could not reproduce the issue.

I had tried the following drivers, but the issue persisted:
470.86, 495.44, 495.46, 510.39.01.

I had also tried resetting my NVIDIA settings in my profile by removeing ~/.nv and .cache/nvidia.

My guess is that something happened during distribution upgrade with dconf or in my .config folder that caused this issue. To resolve this problem I performed the following steps:

1. Ensured I had set a root account password
  2. Backed up critical bits of software/configuration
  3. Logout to login screen
  4. Change to terminal [Ctrl+Alt+F5]
  5. Login as root
  6. mv /home/username /home/username.old
  7. cp -rT /etc/skel /home/username
  8. chmod username:username /home/username
  9. exit
  10. [Ctrl+Alt+F1] to return to GDM login screen
  11. Login as user
  12. Restore files, settings and configuration from /home/username.old & /home/username.old/.config as required