H265 file format specification

Hello, I’m a student in an university and I’m trying to make a program to convert RGB images from a camera into a video with H265 encoding.

I read this multimedia references and I found an example that encode images with H265 codec.

But I haven’t heard about .h265 extension(file format) yet only heard about h265 codec. What is this extension exactly?
Are there any sites or specification pages explaining this extension?

And in this example, It seems its input is a RAW YUV file. what kind of YUV formats and FOURCCs (ex. I420 - YUV420) can be used?

Hi,
It is h265 raw stream, not a defined extension such as mp4 or mkv. The jetson_multimedia_api samples are to demonstrate hardware functions. It generates h264/h265 stream in 01_video_encode. If you need it to be in mp4 or mkv, you can try gstreamer pipeline like:

$ gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc num-buffers=300 ! nvvidconv ! nvv4l2h265enc ! h265parse ! qtmux ! filesink location=a.mp4

For using jetson_multimedia_api, you would need to implement the code to mux h264/h265 stream to mp4.

The input format is YUV420, which has separate Y plane, U plane and V plane. The command can generate a YUV420 frame:

$ gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc num-buffers=1 ! video/x-raw,width=320,height=240,format=I420 ! filesink location=a.yuv