Headless Login Credentials

Hi, I just received the TX2 in the mail and I am trying to log in for the first time. I expected to see this content through the screen command on my host computer: https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide%2Fflashing.html%23wwpID0E0JB0HA

Instead I get a login prompt asking me for a localhost username and password. I thought okay, no big deal. The quick start guide provides credentials, but they don’t work!

Username: nvidia
Password nvidia

Apparently there is also another default user with username and password, “ubuntu”, but that doesn’t work either.

So what can I do now? Did I receive a faulty unit? I purchased this for use on an embedded robot and I need headless to work.

EDIT: I gave up and tried to set up through a gui instead, but something seems seriously wrong with this unit. Is this normal? It just flashes this screen on and off and it never boots: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqGz2zXkPbzGgft53a4URYCQNs8lCw

Hi,

Did you just receive a TX2 and not even know what was installed on it and hit these errors?

The literature that came with the unit specifically says, “The Jetson TX2 Development Kit is designed to get you up and running quickly by shipping pre-flashed with a Linux environment.”

I wasn’t at the factory when it was assembled and pre-flashed so you’re somewhat right that I didn’t “even” know what was installed on it, at least not with 100% certainty, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect it to work right out of the box given what the literature says. It also gave me a username and password that I’m supposed to be able to log in with as I stated in the original post.

Hi,
Could you reflash your board with sdkmanager?

Some comments here to add to context, although this isn’t in any particular order…

Older releases came with the default accounts/passwords “ubuntu/ubuntu”, and later also “nvidia/nvidia”. Later on units had to start shipping without default name and password (part of which is due to new laws in California, but so many people get hacked when they leave default name/pass that this was just a good idea). The “first boot” code is designed to ask for new name/pass info, but there have been several circumstances where it didn’t work as expected for one reason or another.

Development kits do arrive with installed software, but depending on how long the unit has been in storage you may not know which of the releases you received, and it is still a very good idea to start with a fresh flash. Even if everything had worked out there would still be a recommendation to perform a full flash.

Regarding earlier releases, these did not use the Ubuntu package mechanism for the NVIDIA-specific hardware drivers (and these drivers are what turn a purely Ubuntu distribution into what is referred to as Linux for Tegra…“L4T”). If you have a more recent release, then you will find you can do some updates from within the Jetson which older Jetsons would require a full flash to complete (well, not older Jetsons, but really Jetsons with older software releases).

Serial console is something you will definitely want around if you get around some of the issues of video configuration or other bugs. For example, monitors and networking can fail, and since serial console has almost no dependencies, then the system will still work through this (but if there is no login account, perhaps not…although first boot configuration can be completed through serial console).

Do note that if you choose to flash that VMs usually fail due to not holding the USB as the Jetson will repeatedly disconnect and reconnect to USB during the flash. VMs can be made to work if they are configured to always get the Jetson’s USB during flash. If you have a native Ubuntu 18.04 host PC, then this is the least frustrating.

Thank you @linuxdev. I did reflash the tx2 and it seems to be working fine now luckily.

I had to edit my os-release file to trick the sdkmanager because I’m on 20.04 and Pop_OS! stopped supporting their 18.04 release when the 20.04 LTS was released.

It’s strange for a company like Nvidia to be so behind on 20.04 support considering it was available long before the official release. Anyway I’m glad that didn’t pose too much of an issue.

Thanks again!