How do you attach a child to a parent object?

I read the help, and it says Parent:

Creates an X form and nests selected assets under the X Form.

What is an X Form? The people who write your help know how to use Omniverse, and assume the people reading help do also.

In IClone, which is all I know, I select an object, and select a parent button, then select the object that is the parent.

I see Edit > Parent button, but that doesn’t tell me what to do.

Thank you.

Hello @DataJuggler! First of all, I’d like to apologize about our documentation. You are correct, our documentation does assume that the user is familiar with what an XForm is and how it works. I let the documentation team know and I appreciate you bringing this to our attention!

An Xform is short for “Transform” which allows you to apply transformations, like Move, Rotate, and/or Scale, to objects. It provides a gizmo and center for any geometry it receives from the stack, whether it’s a sub-object selection or the whole object.

To make an object the “Child to a Parent object”, you should just be able to grab the child object with your mouse and drag it onto the parent object in the Stage. Could you give me more details on what you are trying to do? I want to help!

Also, you can take a look at this documentation which might help you understand the stack: Parent Group

(For reference, and internal ticket was created to improve our documentation: OM-44640)

I was able to figure out through trial and error.

Thanks for the explanation of XForm. I have wanted to build a help / system with “levels”, so for new users it explains everything, and more experienced users can focus on just the topic or more advanced features.

I am so impressed with Omniverse how fast it can duplicate props. A poker table with 10 chairs and, a chip rack with 300 chips and 52 cards only takes 2 - 3 seconds.

Next task is learning Omniverse Python API so I can convert my chip rack scrambler / descrambler and Shuffle Machine from IClone API.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.