How to create non-planar ground?

Hi,

I’m using isaac gym to build an environment for quadrapeds to learn to adapt to different terrains, like mountains, hills, or random height fields.
However, in the doc I didn’t found such apis so I would like to ask how could I create such terrains? Should I import a huge urdf as terrain instead?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @zhangge3,

The current version of Isaac Gym doesn’t support creating/loading arbitrary terrain yet. You can try emulating the non-even terrain by randomly placing static objects, for example, boxes.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I generated a moutain shaped mesh from pybullet’s asset as in https://github.com/bulletphysics/bullet3/tree/master/data/heightmap.
However, I didn’t find a way to make the mesh static(I mean it shouldn’t move at all), do you have any suggestions?
thanks

The bigger issue is that it’s hard to incorporate into Cura on an ongoing basis. All those many steps can be greatly reduced but the problem is that it’s kind of a hack. The very first thing Cora’s slicing engine does is that it separates the model into layers and then deals with each layer as 2D objects. Introducing the third dimension back into it is as I understand it basically incompatible with it. But the developers were very interested in what this could do, so maybe we will see some movement in this direction soon..

Hi zhangge3,
Did you find a solution for this problem? Would be very interested in how to create uneven terrain as well.
Cheers,
Felix

Hi @vmakoviychuk , is there any tutorial for placing a static object in Isaac Gym? I have created a world using Isaac Sim, but I can’t find a way to load the .usd file into Isaac Gym

Is there any update on this? Can usd assets created in IsaacSim be loaded in IsaacGym?

Still have a non-flat ground need in two and a half years later, does the new release support this feature?