Questions regarding USD scenes and Isaac Sim

Hi all,

I am completely new to Isaac, Omniverse, and in general 3D things, so my questions may have been answered before but I could not find the right answers. For context, I’m a gazebo user and I am curious as to how Isaac performs in large scene with many objects, and fast moving robots.

To do that in gazebo it’s fairly straight forward, you define a big text file in which you say where is what and its scale. My issue is how do I do that in Isaac. I understand Isaac is using USD files to define what the scene will look like, and that all the assets should be defined as USD files. But how do I make that scene ?

I mean in my case the scene is procedurally generated by some python code. Hence, I’d rather avoid building the scene manually and I was looking for ways to make it using code. So far I have found the code snippets provided in the doc but there is something that I can’t find. From the doc I know how to add a cube, a sphere, how to apply randomization, but I don’t know how to import an asset. And I guess I would if I could find the list of commands. By that I mean that all the time the tutorial call something like:

omni.kit.commands.execute(“CreateMeshPrimCommand”, prim_type=“Cube”)

How do I do that for assets ? Is there a list of commands somewhere ? I could not find it.

A separate question I have is does Isaac sim supports height-maps / digital elevation models ?

Thanks in advance,

Best,

Antoine

I’ll answer part of my question:
Here is how you can add an asset using python:

def create_object(prefix, stage, path, location=Gf.Vec3d(0, 0, 0), rotation=Gf.Quaternion(1, Gf.Vec3d(0,0,0)), group=[]):
    """
    Creates a 3D object from a USD file and adds it into the scene with a given rotation and location
    Inputs:
        prefix: The name of the object in the world (does not have to be unique).
        stage: The name of the world the objects belong to.
        path: The path of to the USD file on the docker/drive.
        location: The position of the object relatively to the stage.
        rotation: The rotation of the object relatively to the stage.
        group: The group of primitives this object belongs to.
    Outputs:
        group: The group of primitives this object belongs to.
    """
    prim_path = omni.usd.get_stage_next_free_path(stage, prefix, False)
    group.append(prim_path)
    tile_prim = stage.DefinePrim(prim_path, "Xform")
    tile_prim.GetReferences().AddReference(path)
    xform = UsdGeom.Xformable(tile_prim)
    xform_op = xform.AddXformOp(UsdGeom.XformOp.TypeTransform, UsdGeom.XformOp.PrecisionDouble, "")
    mat = Gf.Matrix4d().SetTranslate(location)
    mat.SetRotateOnly(Gf.Rotation(rotation))
    xform_op.Set(mat)
    return group

I could not find the list of commands but I assume most of them are listed in here Index — isaac_sim 2022.1.1-release.1 documentation

Hi Antoine,

I am glad you found your own answer, and yes that is the link to Isaac Sim API doc.
Please let us know if you still have questions.

Kindly,
Liila

Thanks for the answer, do you know if isaac sim support heightmap or should I convert my heightmap into stl files and then into usd files ?

Hi Antoine,

Unfortunately we currently do not support heightmap., you can probably convert it yourself.

Kindly,
Liila

Thanks, will do.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.