How to install and use a network license

Greetings.

I would like to install the fortran workstation and use an existing network license (e.g., INSTALL.txt section 2.2) that is currently serving several other machines. The help file seems to drop this topic after section 2.2, however, and I am lost on how to configure the installation to use the license server. Everything seems to be focused on generating a license file, which does not seem necessary in order to use a network license. Have I overlooked a key section?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System: Ubuntu 10.04
Fortran Workstation 10.9
64-bit intel machine

Hi dwelling,

The Workstation product has a single user node-locked license so can’t use the network install option. For a network installation used by multiple systems, you would need a Server license.

What might be useful is if you could contact PGI Customer Service (trs@pgroup.com) and include your product number (PIN). They will be able access the specifics of your account and determine what type of license you have.

Thanks,
Mat

Mat-

Thanks for the response. Let me clarify my question and then make sure that I understand your response so I know how to proceed.

My situation is that I can either use a machine that is administered by the group that I work for or configure my own machine and waive any help by the IT folks. The former provides a restrictive environment with VERY out-of-date software, so I have chosen the latter. Our group has a server license for pgf90, and it is automatically installed if you have a machine governed by the group. I can indeed use that license, but the only help I received from the IT folks is, “point your license variables here [server name] and good luck.” With this info in hand, I grabbed the source for the Fortran Workstation from the PGI website and did my best.

If I understand your response correctly, the install software I obtained cannot be used with the server license and I need a different installer that my group should have somewhere. Is this accurate? It’s not the type of license that is a problem, it’s getting the software to work with the server license.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi dwelling,

Given this information, I would assume your group has a Server license. The Server license allows users to install the PGI products on any system within the group’s network. The only requirement is that your system must be able to connect to the license server.

Locally, you set the license environment variables to either a file that contains the name of the license server or to “PORT@HOST” (i.e the port number and host of the license server). When you run the compilers, they get this variable, connect to the license server, and check out a license. When the compilation is finished, the license is checked in. The limit on a Server license is the number of concurrent check-outs.

If I understand your response correctly, the install software I obtained cannot be used with the server license and I need a different installer that my group should have somewhere. Is this accurate? It’s not the type of license that is a problem, it’s getting the software to work with the server license.

No, the compilers are the same for both the Workstation and Server license. Although listed separately on our downloads page, they are actually the same package.

My confusion was that you had written “network license” which I took to mean “network installation”. During installation, you do have the option to install the compilers locally or on a shared network drive (i.e. network installation). The network installation was designed to allow IT to install the compilers in a single shared location for all users making it easier to handle updates. It sound like your IT department wants you to manage you’re own installations, hence use the local install.

Hopefully I didn’t confuse you more, but please let me know if I did. If you have questions about your specific account, please contact PGI Customer Service (trs@pgroup.com).

Best Regards,
Mat

Mat-

I fully understand now; you have been extremely helpful. The biggest problem here has been my poor description of the problem along with a rather shallow understanding of the process.

I do indeed have the port@server information loaded into the system variable; I can ping the server, and when I do a pgf90 test.f90, I see that the port@server is processed by the license manager. However, I get the error
pgi-f95-lin64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: No such feature exists.
which has had me scratching my head. This error led me to the assumption that I had not configured the installation correctly for using a server license.

I’ll work on this some more and perhaps shoot off an email as you have recommended. Thanks.

pgi-f95-lin64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: No such feature exists.

What this tells us is that the compilers are installed correctly and are able to contact the license server. However, the feature, in this case the PGI 64-bit Linux Fortran Compiler, is not available.

As to why it’s not available, we’ll need more information such as the product id number (PIN) for your license. Though, please this information directly to PGI Customer Service since this is a public forum.

Thanks,
Mat