IDE to develop OpenCV and CUDA applications directly on TX1

Hi,

I am a novice in applications development on Jetson TX1 developer kit. I need to develop and debug OpenCV and CUDA applications directly on the developer kit and not remote development.

Is there any IDE which I can install directly on the Ubuntu for Tegra that comes with the TX1?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
BharatS

Hi BharatS

I like using QT Creator. It works well with CMAKE and I really like the debugger.

You can try Eclipse too, especially if you are planning on programming in Python using the PyDev module, but if you are planning on developing solely in C++ I’d recommend QT Creator.

Cheers

Galto

Oh, I forgot, if you are going to do CUDA programming also then you probably want to use the Nsight Eclipse Edition

G

up at top of page on my chromium it says “nvidia accelerated computing” and clickable “Downloads” link that will take you to informative page on development. and QT Creator is my choice also plus it is included in tx1 install.

Hello Galto2000,

Thank you for your reply. But I read that Nsight Eclipse Edition comes with the CUDA toolkit only. So can you please tell me if I must install the CUDA toolkit on the Jetson TX1 to get Nsight?

Please note that I want to start developing directly on Jetson TX1 Board.

Kind regards,
BharatS

Bharat, if you install the Jetpack all the CUDA tools will be installed too, including Nsight.

Hello AlexP312,

Yes. With Jetpack, Nsight will be installed on the Host Machine and not on Jetson TX1. I want to install it directly on TX1.

Kind regards,
BharatS

i think it is in cuda toolkit which is in cuda-repo-l4t which was supposed to be placed in cuda-l4t folder on the tx1

Hi,

I installed the CUDA toolkit on my tx1 board successed, but i think it not installed the Nsight(although it installed if you install cuda by JetPack on your host pc). when i run “nsight”, there have nothing on my commond line.
So, i wonder how to install the Nsight on the TX1 directly?

If you look at a Jetson with CUDA installed you’ll see that “/var” contains a cuda-repo-version… subdirectory (and probably another directory with opencv4tegra-repo). Any “.deb” file there will be visible to “apt search” package management. If one of those installed nVidia repos contains nsight you will be able to find it with “apt search”. However, I do not know if there is an nsight for aarch64 native execution.

There have nothing refered with nsight in the cuda-repo-version and opencv4tegra-repo, and when i run “apt search nsight”, i can see:

ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$ apt search nsight
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
carmetal/trusty 3.5.2+dfsg-1 all
  dynamic geometry software with highly ergonomic UI

cmake/trusty,now 2.8.12.2-0ubuntu3 armhf [installed]
  cross-platform, open-source make system

cobertura/trusty 1.9.4.1+dfsg-3 all
  java tool that calculates the percentage of code accessed by tests

elastix/trusty 4.5-4 armhf
  toolbox for rigid and nonrigid registration of images

elastix-doc/trusty 4.5-4 all
  toolbox for rigid and nonrigid registration of images - docs

fonts-sil-andika/trusty 1.002-4 all
  extended smart Unicode Latin/Greek font family for literacy

insighttoolkit3-examples/trusty 3.20.1+git20120521-5 all
  Image processing toolkit for registration and segmentation - examples

insighttoolkit4-examples/trusty 4.5.0-3 all
  Image processing toolkit for registration and segmentation - examples

libacme-bleach-perl/trusty 1.150-1 all
  Perl module for really clean programs

libacme-eyedrops-perl/trusty 1.61-1 all
  funny way for visual programming in Perl

libcobertura-java/trusty 1.9.4.1+dfsg-3 all
  java library that calculates the percentage of code accessed by tests

libinsighttoolkit3-dev/trusty 3.20.1+git20120521-5 armhf
  Image processing toolkit for registration and segmentation - development

libinsighttoolkit3.20/trusty 3.20.1+git20120521-5 armhf
  Image processing toolkit for registration and segmentation - runtime

libpath-class-perl/trusty 0.33-1 all
  module for cross-platform path specification manipulation

paml-doc/trusty 4.7-1 all
  Documentation for PAML

perlprimer/trusty 1.1.21-2 all
  Graphical design of primers for PCR

qiime/trusty 1.8.0+dfsg-2 armhf
  Quantitative Insights Into Microbial Ecology

qiime-doc/trusty 1.8.0+dfsg-2 all
  Quantitative Insights Into Microbial Ecology (tutorial)

ruby-rack-piwik/trusty 0.2.2-2 all
  piwik Analytics racking in your Ruby-Rack based project

so, can i think it’s not support the jetson native?

Looks like nsight for arm64 is not visible to the package manager. I have not heard of any plans to make nsight available for native arm64, and it seems nsight was really meant for running on a higher powered desktop host instead, so I don’t know if it would make sense to port this to a Jetson. That’s up to the tools people though, so who knows?

Perhaps if we knew more about your use case and why you want to develop directly on the TX1 with nsight there might be some workaround, e.g., you could run nsight on a very cut down x86_64 machine with no monitor by doing remote display to the Jetson from the x86_64…more or less treating the Jetson as host so you wouldn’t need a complete system on the x86_64 side.