Import torch gives Segmentation fault on Jetson Orin Nano

Hi.
I’m having troubles with torch on my Jetson Orin Nano
When I try to import it in python the interpreter crashes.
I tried to run it with the fault handler here is the output:

python3 -q -X faulthandler

>>> import torch

Fatal Python error: Segmentation fault

Current thread 0x0000ffff8411c010 (most recent call first):
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219 in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 1166 in create_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 556 in module_from_spec
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 657 in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975 in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991 in _find_and_load
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/__init__.py", line 229 in <module>
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219 in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 848 in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671 in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975 in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991 in _find_and_load
  File "<stdin>", line 1 in <module>

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I’m using:
Ubuntu 20.04
Jetpack 5.1.1
python 3.8
torch 2.0.0
torchvision 0.15.1

I’ve installed both torch and torchvision according to the original post and already tried:

export OPENBLAS_CORETYPE=ARMV8

It’s been days since I got stuck here so any help would be welcome.
Thanks a lot !

Hi @rom.boutet0, that line is where the torch loads it’s C++ extension library and libtorch. I’m not sure why this segfault may occur in your environment, sorry about that. I would recommend uninstalling torch from pip3 and trying one of the other wheels to see if there is a difference. If you still can’t install torch and import it, then I would probably try flashing a fresh SD card.

Also if you are still having issues, you can use the l4t-pytorch container: NVIDIA L4T PyTorch | NVIDIA NGC

Thanks for answering so quickly !
Looks like using Pytorch 1.14.0 fixed the issue of importing torch, I still have a warning (not sure it’s related) when importing torchvision:

UserWarning: Failed to load image Python extension: '/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torchvision-0.15.1-py3.8-linux-aarch64.egg/torchvision/image.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK3c107SymBool10guard_boolEPKcl'If you don't plan on using image functionality from `torchvision.io`, you can ignore this warning. Otherwise, there might be something wrong with your environment. Did you have `libjpeg` or `libpng` installed before building `torchvision` from source?

I’m now facing similar issue when trying to run any inference with YoLo. Still the segfault error:

Fatal Python error: Segmentation fault

Current thread 0x0000ffffa9498010 (most recent call first):
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/conv.py", line 459 in _conv_forward
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/conv.py", line 463 in forward
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1480 in _call_impl
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ultralytics/nn/modules/conv.py", line 42 in forward_fuse
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1480 in _call_impl
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ultralytics/nn/tasks.py", line 82 in _predict_once
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ultralytics/nn/tasks.py", line 62 in predict
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ultralytics/nn/tasks.py", line 45 in forward
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ultralytics/nn/autobackend.py", line 314 in forward
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ultralytics/nn/autobackend.py", line 428 in warmup
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ultralytics/yolo/engine/predictor.py", line 222 in stream_inference
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/autograd/grad_mode.py", line 50 in generator_context
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ultralytics/yolo/engine/predictor.py", line 184 in __call__
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ultralytics/yolo/engine/model.py", line 253 in predict
  File "/home/romain/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/autograd/grad_mode.py", line 34 in decorate_context
  File "MarionSpot_5.0/test_with_yolo.py", line 47 in <module>
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I also tried with Pytorch 1.13.0.
Not sure the problem is related to torch as before but any clue is welcome.
I’ll give a try to the l4t-pytorch container.

I would double-check that you don’t have multiple versions of PyTorch installed (perhaps the site-wide one that is working under /usr and then your user one under /home/romain/.local?) It seems odd to get these segfaults, which aren’t typically encountered.

There is also a simple PyTorch test script here that does some basic checks of creating GPU tensor and using cuDNN kernels:

https://github.com/dusty-nv/jetson-containers/blob/master/test/test_pytorch.py

I typically use that script in testing of the l4t-pytorch containers, but you can also run it outside of container to test your local installation.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.