Inheriting point Cd when using USD point instancing

Hi,
Is there some way to inherit point color when using USD point instancer (originating from Houdini/Solaris). I need to differentiate color (let’s say color tint) based on Cd parameter. Any clues on how to work with that?

Hello j.grobelny,

Thank you for posting, I will bring your inquiry to the proper channels for review.
Thank you for your patience.

Hello j.grobelny!

USD point instancers can have primvars that are per-instance. See the section “Primvars on PointInstancer” on this page for some details about how they apply to each point:

https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/docs/api/class_usd_geom_point_instancer.html

If your Cd parameter can be exported as a primvar, for instance primvars:displayColor then it should be available on the USD stage. I think that some Houdini LOPs do that conversion automatically, I’m not sure about point instancers though.

One note about our support for primvars in Omniverse tools. We’re currently working on rolling out support for general primvars, but it isn’t in our public tools yet. Create will use the first color it finds in primvars:displayColor, so if you only need one color per point in your point instancer that should work today. More robust primvar support is coming soon!