Installing JetPack and Flash Jetson TX1 with sdk Manger using SSD Drive

Hello
I Have a Jetson TX1 board and I want to install JetPack and Flash Jetson with Nvidia-SDK Manager
I have downloaded all packages on SDK-manager and when I want to install and flash the jetson, jetpack, and os are installed on the internal sd card of the board
but I want to install the JetPack and OS on the External SSD-Drive that I connected to the board.
how can I do that?
internal SD-Card Doesn’t have enough space for installing all JetPack Components…

Host Ubuntu: Ubuntu 18.04
Board: Nvidia Jetson TX1
SSD-Drive: Samsung SSD-256 GB

I think you can only install it into the built-in eMMC and then expand the usage space by mounting or migrating the system to the SSD. Not choosing additional options when installing makes perfect use of almost all eMMC space. This is really a bad design.

@dave14
when you flash the Jetson with SDK-manager automatically install Ubuntu and kernel on the eMMC storage.
I try this way:
First I connected the SSD Drive to the SATA Sucket on the board
then I formatted the SSD Drive on Ubuntu with the “Disks” Application in Ext4 FileSystem.
next, I create the partition the size of the whole Storage.
next, I copy all the /root directory content to SSD Drive with the following command:
sudo cp -ax / ‘/media/ubuntu/JetsonSSD-256’
next, we have to modify the boot configuration (change the extlinux.conf file):
change directory to:
cd /boot/extlinux
make a backup of extlinux.conf file:
sudo cp extlinux.conf extlinux.conf.original
edit the extlinux.conf for modify boot settings(you can use vim or whatever you have to change and edit .conf files):
sudo gedit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
in extlinux.conf file Duplicate the eMMC entry (usually named primary)

here is an example of extlinux.conf file:

TIMEOUT 30
    DEFAULT satassd

MENU TITLE p2371-2180 eMMC boot options

LABEL satassd
    MENU LABEL primary SATA SSD
    LINUX /boot/Image
    INITRD /boot/initrd
    FDT /boot/tegra210-jetson-tx1-p2597-2180-a01-devkit.dtb
    APPEND fbcon=map:0 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 androidboot.modem=none androidboot.serialno=P2180A00P00940c003fd androidboot.security=non-secure tegraid=21.1.2.0.0 ddr_die=2048M@2048M ddr_die=2048M@4096M section=256M memtype=0 vpr_resize usb_port_owner_info=0 lane_owner_info=0 emc_max_dvfs=0 touch_id=0@63 video=tegrafb no_console_suspend=1 debug_uartport=lsport,0 earlyprintk=uart8250-32bit,0x70006000 maxcpus=4 usbcore.old_scheme_first=1 lp0_vec=${lp0_vec} nvdumper_reserved=${nvdumper_reserved} core_edp_mv=1125 core_edp_ma=4000 gpt android.kerneltype=normal androidboot.touch_vendor_id=0 androidboot.touch_panel_id=63 androidboot.touch_feature=0 androidboot.bootreason=pmc:software_reset,pmic:0x0 net.ifnames=0 root=/dev/sda1 rw rootwait

LABEL emmc
    MENU LABEL Internal eMMC
    LINUX /boot/Image
    INITRD /boot/initrd
    FDT /boot/tegra210-jetson-tx1-p2597-2180-a01-devkit.dtb
    APPEND fbcon=map:0 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 androidboot.modem=none androidboot.serialno=P2180A00P00940c003fd androidboot.security=non-secure tegraid=21.1.2.0.0 ddr_die=2048M@2048M ddr_die=2048M@4096M section=256M memtype=0 vpr_resize usb_port_owner_info=0 lane_owner_info=0 emc_max_dvfs=0 touch_id=0@63 video=tegrafb no_console_suspend=1 debug_uartport=lsport,0 earlyprintk=uart8250-32bit,0x70006000 maxcpus=4 usbcore.old_scheme_first=1 lp0_vec=${lp0_vec} nvdumper_reserved=${nvdumper_reserved} core_edp_mv=1125 core_edp_ma=4000 gpt android.kerneltype=normal androidboot.touch_vendor_id=0 androidboot.touch_panel_id=63 androidboot.touch_feature=0 androidboot.bootreason=pmc:software_reset,pmic:0x0 net.ifnames=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait

you have to change the LABEL, DEFAULT to satassd, root directory, MENU LABEL Internal eMMC, MENU LABEL Primary SATA SSD
SSD-Drive is:
root=/dev/sda1
Internal eMMC is:

root=/dev/mmcblk0p1

then save the file and reboot the board.
if you have done everything successfully, your jetson booting up with SSD Drive, and Internal eMMC is loaded as a Memory card or something…

after that you set the boot on SSD-Drive
you can install SDK components on jetson easily

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.