Intrinsic and Extrinsic Camera Calibration

Please provide the following info (check/uncheck the boxes after creating this topic):
Software Version
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.6
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.6 and DriveWorks 4.0
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0 and DriveWorks 3.5
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 10.0 (Linux)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 9.0 (Linux)
other DRIVE OS version
other

Target Operating System
Linux
QNX
other

Hardware Platform
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Xavier DevKit (E3550)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Pegasus DevKit (E3550)
other

SDK Manager Version
other

Host Machine Version
native Ubuntu 18.04
other

Hello,

we want to calibrate eight cameras we have mounted onto our vehicle. We followed the tutorial “static camera calibration” in the documentation. However, we have some issues.

According to the documentation, the images validation-<camera>.jpg generated after executing ./calibration-graph-cli --dir=<calib_data_path> should show a green overlay which indicate the quality of the calibration.

After executing ./calibration-graph-cli --dir=<calib_data_path>, in our case, the validation-<camera>.jpg images only show the blue dots on the targets and do not show the green overlay. The image below is an example of the output we obtain after executing the calibration:

Also, the validation-intrinsics-<camera>.jpg images only show the blue points, but the red points and the yellow lines are not visible (which should be visible according to the documentation):

This obviously indicates that the calibration was not successful.

What is the problem here? How can we solve this issue?

so while using external camera, you have make sure the followings, right?

• Auto focus must be disabled.
  • Any image stabilization must be disabled
  • Zoom, focus and aperture should not change

What’s the camera module?

Hello @kayccc ,

We are using a Sony Alpha 6400 (ILCE-6400) with a sony 18-135mm objective (SEL 18135).
We used a fixed focal length of 18mm during the process.

It seems like we used auto focus during the capturing of the external camera images.
Can this be the reason for the failure of the calibration process (and the reason why the green validation rectangles are missing on the validation images)?
Why is an auto focus not allowed?

Hello,

is there any updates you can provide us on our questions above?

Also, can you please tell us which camera and objective you are using exactly for the camera calibration? We would then purchase the exact same camera for the camera calibration.

Hi @kn10

Please try with the tools in DriveWorks 4.0 and see if it works well.

Hi @VickNV ,

we tried installing DriveWorks 4.0 but had big issues doing so. We can’t afford spending more time on trying to install DriveWorks 4.0, which is why we are still using the NVIDIA DRIVE Software 10.

Nevertheless, can you please answer this question from my previous post:

Thank you very much.

Please share the output messages in the console.

Please create a topic for this. Maybe we can help you with it.

The most used cameras should be those in Hyperion. They are ON Semi - AR0231 ones listed in DRIVE Ecosystem Hardware and Software Components | NVIDIA Developer. You can refer to DRIVE Hyperion Kit Quick Start Guide.

Hi @VickNV ,

I did not mean the car cameras. My question was regarding the external camera you are using for the camera calibration. Can you please tell us the exact model and objective of the external camera you are using for the camera calibration process?

Please refer to External Camera model required for calibration. Thanks.

Hello @VickNV ,

In the following the output messages of the console in a text file:
console_output_camera_calib (243.1 KB)

We cannot really tell why the calibration does not work.
Can you please provide us with information as soon as possible. I hope the console output messages help you.

Thanks in advance!

The information is in the forum topic I shared. Thansk.