IS5030 - Humble request

Hello community!

I am a programmer who is looking to understand and play with Infiniband technology. I bought an IS5030 (I know, it’s ancient by today’s standards) to use in my home lab. No management stack license or a license to make the switch run at it’s rated capacity on the pull out tab.

I’ve contacted Mellanox and as expected they wouldn’t give out any licenses for such old equipment. I would be grateful for all eternity if someone could fulfill my request.

Does anyone have a copy of a license for the IS5030 switch they are willing to share?

Thank you in advance.

Hello Antreas,

Thank you for posting your inquiry on the NVIDIA Networking Community.

Based on the information provided, for the switch to function, you do not need any licenses installed on the switch. The license you are referring to as for the FabricIT add-on only, See the following link for more information → https://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_ib_switch_systems/MIS5030_Switch_User_Manual.pdf

This add-on is obsolete and not maintained as well due to EOL/EOS.

For proper switch functionality no license is needed.

Thank you and regards,

~NVIDIA Networking Technical Support

Hi Martijn, thank you for the prompt reply.

Going on the web management interface for it shows that the bottom 18 ports are locked, and pointing at them with my mouse yields a small dialog box that says “Not licensed”. Furthermore, it won’t let me run the lanes at 40Gbit/s. It seems to be locked at 20Gbit/s. Trying to set each port’s settings through the interface to make it run at 40Gbit/s doesn’t seem to have any effect.

My IB HCA’s are MHQH29B-XSR, rated for 40Gbit/s. They are VPI, dual port cards.

Running on Finisar Quadwire AOC’s rated for 40Gbit/s. On the mgmt interface, the switch lists QDR as a mode of operation for that cable.

I’m new to this technology - am I missing something?

It would certainly be nice to get the switch to run at it’s rated speed.

I should have been more specific in my original question, sorry for that.

Hi Atreas,

As just confirmed based on your message, that your IS50xx is a DDR switch, so max. throughput is 20Gb/s.

As the switch is EOL and EOS for a long time, we are also not able to create any new licenses for it anymore. If possible we would recommend to get a SX60xx switch (SX6036 for example). This is FDR but still you will be able to connect your HCA’s to it. And you do not need any licenses for these switches for IB funcionality.

Your IB HCA’s are indeed QDR (40Gb/s throughput) so the link up to 20Gb/s is correct.

Thank you, stay safe and healthy…

Happy New Year.

~Martijn