Jeston Nano main dev board connector

Dear all,

I will try to design my own Jetson Nano dev board.
To achieve this, I will be very glad to know what is the type/ref. of the main dev. board connector which support the Nano.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Best regards,

Hi Christophe, the Jetson Nano module uses a JEDEC standard 260 DDR4 SODIMM 0.5MM pitch edge connector and are provided to interface with 260 PIN DDR SODIMM SOCKET WITH 0.5MM PITCH, based on SO-018.

An example P/N for the mating socket is: TE Connectivity 2309413-1

Hi Dusty_nv,

Thank you one more time.
I will have a look to this connector.

Best regards,

Hi to all,

I am now to all this, but I wondering where I can put jetson nano to - as it is a module with mentioned DDR4 SODIMM connection. Can I put it into my PC motherboard and be available somehow?

Thank you for reply.

Best regards,
David

Hi David, the Nano module has a SODIMM-style edge connector, but it has very different pin-out than a DDR4 memory module. Do not attempt to insert the Nano module into your PC motherboard’s memory slot otherwise damage may occur to either the Nano module, your motherboard, or both.

The Nano module is intended to be used on a carrier board designed specifically for the Nano. The Nano has LPDDR4 memory onboard the module, but the module itself doesn’t have the same electrical specifications as a memory SODIMM. Rather it is an entire computer-on-module.

I see, are there any recommended carrier boards? Can those be referred as motherboards? And why would I want to use such a carrier board, is not jetson nano enough - or is it just workaround for using it in industry where nvidia had to follow standards etc.? I am not really sure why is it made as module, can you please explain?

The carrier board breaks out the module I/O pins into useable connections or peripherals (i.e. like consumer USB/HDMI/RJ45 connectors in the case of the devkit carrier).

The commercial module is designed to be integrated into production embedded systems and devices that may wish to implement the I/O differently than the reference design does or use a different subset of the I/O in highly-integrated platforms.

In addition to the devkit carrier board, you can check with various Jetson Ecosystem partners that have various Nano carrier designs underway and are able to produce custom designs. You can see some of the ones on the market today here on the wiki: [url]Jetson Nano - eLinux.org

Note how they have different I/O feature sets than the devkit carrier does. The module may also be designed into a highly-integrated embedded system that shares other devices on a common “motherboard” (for example the flight control board on a drone or in a hand-held medical imaging device)

Thank you very much for your replies, as I am writing thesis and will use your hardware, I need deeper information about certain things I didn’t found much about. And you are providing me with such good and satisfactory answers.

I don’t really understand why does Jetson Nano developer pack, which consist of carrier board AND module cost less than just a module. As I reviewed specifications, the module on top of dev kit is the same except storage, which is SDcard and on module is 16GB eMMC - which cost about 25-30 USD in my country (source: https://cz.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Memory-ICs/eMMC/_/N-fb8uf?P=1z0w1t9 ) and the difference is 50USD

Thank you very much.

David

Hi David, as you noted the commercial module includes onboard eMMC storage - in addition, it’s warranty covers production uses, and the module undergoes stringent reliability qualifications and testing such that they are suitable for deployment in production environments throughout their operating lifetime. The commercial module has an extended operating temperature range, and there are also volume discounts available for the module through distributors. Hope that helps to answer your question.