How to use Jetson Nano Module in Production

Dear All,

I was wondering how to use Jetson Nano (or any Jetson) module in production. There is no documentation by which I can get start with Jetson Nano Module. Also as per module’s pictures, I can’t identify any display or Lan port in the Jetson Nano module.

Also what is the suitable carrier board for Jetson Nano Module. How can I get started with Jetson Nano Module. Please help.

Hi mmaaz60, see the ‘Module Documentation’ section of this post:

[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1048642/jetson-nano/links-to-jetson-nano-resources-amp-wiki/[/url]

The Module Datasheet and Design Guide include the pin-out, which tells you which pin on the module corresponds to which interface signal.

See here for carrier boards from ecosystem companies: [url]Jetson Nano - eLinux.org

There are more carriers in development which should be coming online in the future.

Thank You,

After flashing the module using carrier board, how I should be deploying it or using it standalone? I should be soldering the Ethernet and Display ports with the modules.

PS:
I am new to this and my questions may seem naive to you. Thank you for your support.

No problem mmaaz, welcome to the Jetson community! The Jetson modules are always deployed with some type of carrier or motherboard that may integrate other devices. You can’t simply solder connections directly to the pins, besides from being impractical the carrier/motherboard implements conditioning circuitry for the I/O signal and power circuitry for the module as well. For example, consult the Jetson Nano Product Design Guide and Jetson Nano Reference Design Schematics to see the recommended circuitry that accompanies each type of I/O (for instance DisplayPort and Ethernet each have their own requirements).

For production deployment, folks typically customize the reference carrier board design with their specific I/O needs, in some cases stripping it down and in others adding I/O for their application. Other times, they may add a slot for the Nano in their motherboard that is highly-integrated into their embedded device or platform. Others may use one of the off-the-shelf carrier boards from an ecosystem partner for deployment or consult with them to do the desired customizations.

Hope that helps explain how it typically works with embedded system-on-modules (SoM) such as Jetson :)

Thank you for the detailed answer, it really clears everything.

One more question; in applications where we may need extra storage, we can attach external SSD/HDD through USB 3.0 connector.

Also from this link for Jetson Nano carriers [url]Jetson Nano - eLinux.org, I noticed that the average carrier price is just around the price of Jetson Nano Module ($129). Isn’t that too costly? Does NVIDIA also engineer carrier boards?

Regards,
Maaz

Yes you can do that - I use a SATA->USB3 dongle here to mount SSD for extra storage.

We make the devkit carrier board. In general the prices of new aftermarket carriers typically come down in volume and over time as more carriers become available.

Thank You,

One more question please; does Jetson Nano Module is compatible with the dev kit carrier board (I guess yes) and does NVIDIA ship/sale the only dev kit carrier boards?

The current devkit carrier isn’t compatible with the production module due to some changes in the pin-out, however we will be shipping an updated version of the devkit by the end of the year that is. The reference design and module documentation that we’ve released is compatible with the commercial module. For more info please see this thread:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1061275/jetson-nano/jetson-nano-module-available-now/

Hello there,

I’m checking back to see if the carrier board that ships with the dev kit is compatible with the production module yet. If so, how do I check to see if the carrier board that I recently purchased is compatible or not?

Thank you!
Rob

Please check your devkit PartNumber, see: