JetPack 4.5.1 - L4T32.5.1 and e-CAM80_CUNX - apt update/upgrade moves to 4.5.2, breaks bootloader, 4.5.1 is required for hardware compatibility

(unfortunately) Continuing the discussion from An update/update of JP 4.5.1 breaks the bootup to the Ubuntu Desktop, apologies in advance:

I am very much regretting my purchase of a camera from e-con systems for my Jetson Nano (B01) at this point, since it appears they are on a crusade to produce a new camera module for every new image sensor they find when one hits the market, do the absolute minimum to write a semi-working kernel module for a single Jetpack release version (or two if they are feeling bored!) and then abandon the product. Let’s not mention the terrible website design (why does gaining access to the support materials, drivers, and other files for the product I paid for require so much secrecy and verification???), lack of a customer facing ticket system, and the fact that they somehow cant figure out how to allow users to register with their gmail or yahoo email address in 2021. But hey, they are an Nvidia Platinum Partner.

And check it out, my camera is even listed on the official “Jetson Partner Supported Cameras” page:

Last tested JetPack Version: JP4.6 / L4T32.6.1
Supported Jetson Products: Nano / NX

Would someone mind telling me who tested and approved it for JetPack 4.6 and how?

I’ve been asking e-con systems for an updated support package since I got the camera back in July or something and to this date (December 3rd, 2021) I’ve been told directly by them that there are only two versions of JetPack that they have written a working driver/module for:

• JetPack 4.4.0 - TOP SECRET e-con support package filename: e-CAM80_CUNX_JETSON_L4T32.4.3_05-MAR-2021_R01_RC3.tar.gz
  • JetPack 4.5.1 - TOP SECRET e-con support package filename: e-CAM80_CUNX_JETSON_L4T32.5.1_15-APR-2021_R02_RC1.tar.gz

PS: Please don’t tell anybody where to find those super secret files… wouldn’t want people trying to use the camera they bought; they might found out there’s no OS support and complain.

Here’s the problem I get on both of my Jetson Nano B01 dev boards with 4.5.1:

done.
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130ubuntu3.13) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.201-tegra
Warning: couldn't identify filesystem type for fsck hook, ignoring.
I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/zram3
I: (UUID=be05cd52-45c4-484b-a96b-04c44cc6e797)
I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/aarch64-linux-gnu_EGL.conf: No such file or directory
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/aarch64-linux-gnu_GL.conf: No such file or directory
Processing triggers for nvidia-l4t-kernel (4.9.201-tegra-32.5.2-20210709090126) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1.4) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 nvidia-l4t-bootloader
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
jetpack451@jetpack451:~$ 

Let me just stop for a moment to state that this is reproducible every single time with:

• Jetson Nano B01
  • 32GB SanDisk UHS-I, Class 10 MicroSDXC
  • Following the official documentation here: https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/learn/get-started-jetson-nano-devkit and here: How to Install JetPack :: NVIDIA JetPack Documentation
  • After the system boots for the very first time and goes through the initial questionaire, then resizes the partition and reboots, opening the terminal and running “sudo apt update; sudo apt upgrade -y” will upgrade the packages (great!) and force a point upgrade to 4.5.2 (not great!) which then breaks everything because it can’t install the bootloader… and like I said: e-con doesn’t have a 4.5.2 module anyways… so it breaks support for their charming camera.
  • Doesn’t matter if I manually trigger an apt update/apt upgrade. The package manager (GUI application) is going to keep nagging me to attempt the same thing either way. And it breaks in the same place.

Question time

1. How am I supposed to use this camera on the last supported JetPack version: 4.5.1 AND retain functionality of my apt package manager if doing something as simple as an apt update; apt upgrade forces a point upgrade to 4.5.2 which is destined to fail and breaks support for my beloved e-CAM80_CUNX?
  2. In the post I ref’d at the start of this thread, WayneWWW stated:

Well here you go; pure jetpack + apt upgrade. Was an attempt to reproduce the issue made? Because I can confirm that it occurs on both of my Jetson Nano B01’s immediately after the first boot on a freshly flashed microSD card. As a matter of fact, I grabbed 4 extra brand new 32GB SanDisk microSD cards after reading the above mentioned quote and other various responses I’ve seen around this forum after fighting with this on and off over the past 2-3 weeks. Balena Etcher verifies the image successfully after writing it to any microSD I’ve tried it with on 3 different physical systems. It ain’t me!
3. Is there an officially agreed upon way to force the JetPack version/OS version to remain on a specific version while retaining a working package manager, without it constantly attempting to do a point upgrade and self destructing my entire install, built jetson-inference (you know this takes hours to build, right?), and any work I may have been able to accomplish?
4. My intentions with this device and the camera: Live object detection from my own model via: https://github.com/dusty-nv/jetson-inference/blob/master/docs/building-repo-2.md and https://github.com/dusty-nv/jetson-inference/blob/master/docs/detectnet-example-2.md - I’d like to accomplish this goal without a bunch of flaky hacks and duct-tape patches just to be able to get the device to the point where I’ve compiled everything successfully and gotten my object detection program running. I’ve already been successful at doing this months ago before there was a 4.5.2 point upgrade but this was without the camera even attached and without attempting to install e-con’s module and custom version of the viewer application.

I’m sure you’re asking where the logs are. Don’t worry, I saved everything worth looking at from /var/log, all the console output I could get, and a few screenshots.

jetpack451.zip (5.9 MB)

1 Like

If e-con only support J4.5.1 why do you need upgrade to J4.5.2?

I’m sorry, I should have broken this out into separate issues.

I have created a post regarding the camera vendor support here:

As I can’t edit my initial post, please allow me to modify my question and topic slightly.
I would like to remove the camera and its kernel module from the topic of this thread entirely and focus on what I mentioned in the first line of my original post.

• Another user had the same exact issue as I did
  • He/She created the thread I linked to in my opening line of this thread
  • You asked the user for logs, which they did not provide and eventually the thread was locked and forgotten about

Official documentation for JetPack 4.5.1
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/jetpack-archived/jetpack-451/install-jetpack/index.html
…states the following:

Starting with JetPack 4.4, upgrading to the next JetPack release can be achieved using a package management tool like apt. Follow the below steps to perform the upgrade:

1. First, upgrade L4T.Please refer to the section “To upgrade to a new point release” in the NVIDIA Jetson Linux Developer Guide if upgrading to a new point release; for example, upgrading from JetPack 4.4 to JetPack 4.4.1.

The referenced “NVIDIA Jetson Linux Developer Guide”, then states this:

To update to a new point release

1.Enter the command:

$ sudo apt update

apt reads a list of packages from the remote APT repository and identifies new and upgradable packages.

2.Enter the command:

apt list --upgradable

apt displays a list of new and upgradable packages.

3.To install the basic packages for Jetson Linux, enter the command:

sudo apt upgrade

4.Reboot your Jetson device when the upgrade is finished.

Anyone with a Jetson nano B01 should be able to use the official JetPack 4.5.1 image and attempt the steps above to result in a failed point upgrade to 4.5.2.

I’ve attached logs showing the failure. All the apt logs and syslogs are there from the first press of the power button on a fresh image. Let me know what else I can provide or if I am misunderstanding the documentation.

We have developed the camera driver for the Jetpack 4.5.1 and Jetpack 4.6 versions. Previously we had developed the camera driver for Jetpack 4.5.1 version. However, we have updated the camera driver to the latest Jetpack 4.6 recently.

We request you to install either one of the Jetpacks to your Jetson Nano development kit and install the corresponding camera driver that supports the Jetpack.

If you install the Jetpack 4.5.1 from the NVIDIA, please don’t run the following command “sudo apt upgrade”. This will update to the latest Jetpack provided by NVIDIA.

Please be informed that If you require the camera driver for the latest Jetpack 4.6, please download it from the below google drive link.

Package Name: e-CAM80_CUNX_JETSON_L4T32.6.1_06-DEC-2021_R03_RC1.tar.gz

Please write to “camerasolutions@e-consystems.com” for Jetpack 4.6

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.