JetPack 5.0.1 install fail for Jetson Xavier NX via SDK Manager

Hi everyone !

I’m a beginner with Jetson, I receive Xavier NX, I launch it and upgrade it. But the upgrade fail and now it doesn’t boot anymore. I see that it can be flashed to reset its JetPack. So it is what I try to do, with no success…

I put the Jetson in recovery mod and plug it in my host computer under Ubuntu 20.04. I launch SDK Manager and try to flash the Jetson. Unfortunately, the installation failed, it seems like file system and OS of the Jetson image failed to be generated, and create a lot of dependency error. You can find the log file of SDK Manager in attachment

If anybody can explain me what happened and how to resolve this issue, I will be very grateful !
Thanks, Quentin

SDKM_logs_JetPack_5.0.1_DP_Linux_for_Jetson_Xavier_NX_modules_2022-05-25_12-01-17.zip (164.9 KB)

1 Like

Hi,

Just a suggestion, do not always think other guys’ error is same as your own.

SDKM is a quite large tool which has lots of part to install. Sometimes it is on host side and sometimes it is on device side. Any crash from each of them will lead to error. And you may think your errors are “same” but turns out not at all.

Every error here is case by case. Better clarifying the scenario of your case or compare the error log from others with your own log.

I don’t see any “flash error” from @mathieuquentin19. Instead, I see there are some error when SDKM is trying to prepare the file system. Which means the flash process is not even started.

The error log are lots of below kind.

12:02:34.271 - info: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: sudo tar xpf /media/koeut1/6208D5E508D5B7ED/Nvidia_JetPack/Download/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R34.1.1_aarch64.tbz2
12:02:34.271 - info: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: cd ..
12:02:34.272 - info: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: sudo ./tools/l4t_flash_prerequisites.sh
12:02:34.272 - info: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: safe_apt_install "sudo apt-get install -y binutils" 5
12:02:34.272 - info: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: sudo ./apply_binaries.sh
12:02:34.272 - info: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: sudo mkdir -p rootfs/opt/nvidia/deb_repos
12:02:34.272 - info: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: **********************
12:02:34.272 - info: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: exec_command: /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP.sh
12:04:20.955 - error: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: tar: usr/lib/systemd/system/system-systemd\\x2dcryptsetup.slice: Cannot open
12:04:20.955 - info: Event: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS - error is: tar: usr/lib/systemd/system/system-systemd\\x2dcryptsetup.slice: Cannot open
12:04:20.956 - error: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: : Invalid argument
12:04:20.956 - info: Event: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS - error is: : Invalid argument
12:05:07.210 - error: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: tar: var/lib/ucf/cache/\:etc\:idmapd.conf: Cannot open: Invalid argument
12:05:07.210 - info: Event: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS - error is: tar: var/lib/ucf/cache/\:etc\:idmapd.conf: Cannot open: Invalid argument
12:05:07.210 - error: NV_L4T_FILE_SYSTEM_AND_OS_T194_COMP@JETSON_XAVIER_NX_TARGETS: tar: var/lib/ucf/cache/\:etc\:gdm3\:greeter.dconf-defaults: Cannot open: Invalid argument

Is your disk “/media/koeut1/6208D5E508D5B7ED/” an ext4 file system?

Hi @motomi0509,

My comment is for @mathieuquentin19. Not for you. I am talking about his ubuntu x86 host disk file system. Nothing to do with NVMe.
Your case is totally different. Please file a new topic.

Hi, thanks for the response !

In fact my setup is a little particular : I’m on a dual boot with Windows 10. But my Ubuntu OS is on a small partition of my SSD (6208D5E508D5B7ED). This partition does not seem to have enough space for the amount of generated files by SDKM (~30 Gb). So I change the directory in SDKM to put it in a place with enough space.

I feel I understand that these files need to stay in the Linux environment to be decompressed. Is that the problem ?

Thanks, Quentin

Yes, the file system should be a ext4 one.

Ok, I will do that.
But to change the directory of the install in SDKM, I need to uninstall the previous image.
Did you know how to do that ?

Thanks

The GUI shall have a remove option.

1 Like

Just some tips:

• It is the “Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/” content which must be ext4. If this is something else which does not understand Linux permissions, then the flash will appear to succeed, but in reality there will be problems requiring another flash.
  • The large file content needed during flash for temporary space is at:
    ~/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_...version.../Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/
    (the “~” substitutes for your home directory, it is an alias)
  • You can mount another disk directly on “~/nvidia” so that disk instead gets its space consumed. You would have to reinstall JetPack/SDK Manager for that to work, which might need some details explained. Or you could use a tool like rsync to migrate that data from “~/nvidia/” to the new storage.
  • You can be more selective and do the same mount and migration of the “Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/” content as well.
  • If your rootfs partition of your host PC needs more space, and if you have enough empty space on the disk as a whole, then there are ways to expand that space into your rootfs. This is risky and requires knowing details to attempt it. Similarly, if you have extra space on the hard drive, but it isn’t in this partition, then you could use another partition to mount to “bootloader/” or “~/nvidia” without too much effort.
  • Whenever you flash there is a “raw” file created which is an exact match for the size of the rootfs which will exist on your Jetson. If that Jetson partition is 28 GB in size, then that file will also be that large as temporary content. Then a “sparse” version is created, and that sparse file is the size of actual file content within the raw file. If the rootfs has an actual file size content of 3 GB, then the sparse file will be a bit larger than 3 GB; if the 28 GB rootfs raw file is full, then the sparse file will add another 28 GB of temporary space requirement. Defaults during flash tend to be about 3 GB for the sparse file.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.