Jetpack 5.0.2?

JetPack 4.6.x will remain on Ubuntu 18.04

1 Like

How about JetPack 4.6.1 support, what is the end of life?

I was able to install python 3.8 on Ubuntu 18.04 JetPack 4.6.2 on a Jetson Nano:

python3 --version

Python 3.8.13

then I installed tensorflow using:

pip3 install --pre --extra-index-url https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/redist/jp/v46 tensorflow

and if I try

python3 -c "import tensorflow; print(tensorflow.__version__)"

I get:

2.10.0-rc0

Since we haven’t released a TensorFlow 2.10 wheel at all yet for JetPack, and there also aren’t any Python 3.8 wheels under that URL, my guess is that pip pulled the aarch64 wheel from PyPi that was built without GPU support. But if that isn’t the case, let me know, thanks!

I am looking here: Index of /compute/redist/jp/v46/tensorflow but am not seeing the wheel corresponding to 2.10.0-rc0 could you tell me where that one is?

I see - I had somehow installed tensorflow in a virtualenv I think using instructions here: Installation issues with TensorFlow for the Jetson Nano on virtualenv(virtualenvwrapper) but what is the best way to install the latest version of Tensorflow for JetPack 4.6.2 on a Nano 4GB that does have GPU support?

If you are using Python 3.6 and your pip3 points to Python 3.6, then you original command should work for that:

pip3 install --pre --extra-index-url https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/redist/jp/v46 tensorflow

I think it didn’t work initially because you were setup with Python 3.8, and we don’t have Python 3.8 wheels under that URL, so it pulled them from PyPi instead.

Hi Dustin, If I understood it correctly, that is going to be a fully supported version of Jetpack for Jetson NX and Orin boards, isnt it?

Yes, JetPack 5.0 supports Xavier and Orin devices, including Jetson Xavier NX, Jetson AGX Xavier, and Jetson AGX Orin.

1 Like

Is the nano going to receive no further updates?? This would be rather shocking - is a layer 5.x jetpack going to support the nano?

I mean a fully supported production release jetpack with ubuntu 20.04, so finally we can forget about ubuntu 18.04))))

Nano/TX1/TX2 will continue receiving maintenance and security fixes but will remain on JetPack 4.6.x. JetPack 5.x will not support Nano. For more information please refer to the Jetson Software Roadmap which announced this last year:

1 Like

Hi @shahizat, yes, JetPack 5.0.2 is a production release for Xavier/Orin with Ubuntu 20.04.

1 Like

I will answer this as a fellow user, @trey if you need any bugs fixed on jetpack 4.X, don’t ever get your hopes up or expect anything from nvidia. These platforms are effectively dead.

I am celebrating the nearly 1.5 year anniversary of my critical bugfixes not being fixed in jetpack 4.X (and 5.X) with nvidia stating they will not fix them.

You are welcome to follow the journey of xorg rotation/composition stutter/framepacing issues (present on all jetsons, all jetpack releases, as well as desktop GPUs):

and wayland hang/crashes:

How long it will be?

We don’t have a date planned yet for EOL of the JetPack 4.6.x codeline.

Can I assume that the EOL of JetPack 4.6.x will be the same as a Ubuntu 18.04 EOL?

I don’t necessarily believe that to be the case, as stated we don’t have an EOL planned for JetPack 4.6.x

These platforms as of now do get support from nVidia - but in form of upstreaming (to linux kernel etc.). Actually you can run Ubuntu 20.04 with v4.9.x kernel with the BSP from latest Jetpack 4.6 (but need to adjust config / and hack a few things) - currently running this w/o issues.

Ubuntu 22.04 will need upstream kernel at this point. Upstream kernel (5.15+) does get an open-source GPU driver (host1x) but I haven’t tested that yet.

If you’re not familiar with Linux kernel internals, check out armbian (runs on nano with upstream kernel).

see my linked issues… both of these are BSP issues with all released versions (r32.X, r34.X, and r35.X). These are not kernel issues, they are both issues with nvidia’s closed source proprietary userspace drivers.

also, the BSP does NOT function 100% on 20.04. cuda does not work unless you do modifications. the nvidia gstreamer plugins are not compatible with the gstreamer version in focal (resulting in seeking being broken), among other issues.

22.04 also will never work with jetpack r32.X unless nvidia updates the BSP xorg drivers to be compatible with ABI 21.X