Jetson Nano 2GB with MCP2515 SPI-CAN module

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to get a MCP2515 CAN bus module working with the Jetson Nano 2GB. I have read through a similar topic: How to use SPI-CAN module on Jetson Nano 2GB

I’ve been attempting to get it working through the Adafruit CircuitPython mcp2515 library.
Using the example provided from the github library I get incorrect data:

Send success: True
1 messages available
Message from  0x120a464d
message data: bytearray(b'\x88\x06w\xf9\xb3=\x15L')
###
1 messages available
Message from  0x482
RTR length: 3
###
1 messages available
Message from  0x120a464d
###
1 messages available
Message from  0x482
###
1 messages available
Message from  0x120a464d
###
1 messages available
Message from  0x482
###

Likewise, sending a CAN message from another device also gives incorrect IDs and data. Interestingly, when disconnecting the CAN bus H/L lines it shows “0 messages available” as expected. So it seems to be reading some sort of data when it’s present. Also when attempting to read CAN bus data, occasionally the jetson will stop responding and requires a power cycle.

I’ve measured the frequencies and voltages of the SPI data lines to compare with a microcontroller running the same mcp2515 module and they don’t seem correct. The SCL, MISO, MOSI lines on the microcontroller are around 10-100kHz, while the jetson’s is under 100hz. My best guess is that the library is not interfacing with the jetson’s pins correctly.

Has anyone used this library with a jetson and gotten it working? Or any suggestions on what files I could take a look at to try and fix the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

Sorry for the late response, is this still an issue to support? Thanks

As a workaround solution I’m using serial communication with a microcontroller that is then connected to the mcp2515. However the intermediary serial connection introduces a bandwith bottleneck and uneccessary complexity, so it isn’t ideal. Yes it’s still something I’d like to get working.