Jetson Orin Nx USB 3.2 (help understanding the pinout for the extra SS USBs)

Hi,
I am currently developing a carrier board with compatibility in mind for both Xavier NX and Orin NX.
I am okay without using the DP pins since I never used in the Xavier NX design neither
For the USB SS0(on Orin) the USB1_N, USB1_P plus the USBSS0_RX_N/P USBSS0_TX_N/P are used. As in the Design Guide.
Questions:
1. for the USB_SS1 and USB_SS2 which USB HS pins should be used ?
2. Should the recovery USB be shared with a SS USB? If so will require a switch to change between normal operation and Recovery. Or not?

Much appreciated for any guidance.

Pin Module Signal Name Jetson Orin NX Function
109 USB0_D_N USB0_D_N
111 USB0_D_P USB0_D_P
115 USB1_D_N USB1_D_N
121 USB2_D_N USB2_D_N
123 USB2_D_P USB2_D_P
---- -------------------- --------------------
39 DP0_TXD0_N USBSS1_RX_N
41 DP0_TXD0_P USBSS1_RX_P
45 DP0_TXD1_N USBSS1_TX_N
47 DP0_TXD1_P USBSS1_TX_P
--- -------------------- --------------------
51 DP0_TXD2_N USBSS2_RX_N
53 DP0_TXD2_P USBSS2_RX_P
57 DP0_TXD3_N USBSS2_TX_N
59 DP0_TXD3_P USBSS2_TX_P
---- -------------------- --------------------
115 USB1_D_N USB1_D_P
117 USB1_D_P USB1_D_P
161 USBSS_RX_N USBSS0_RX_N
163 USBSS_RX_P USBSS0_RX_P
166 USBSS_TX_N USBSS0_TX_N
168 USBSS_TX_P USBSS0_TX_P

On the current Xavier NX design I have the USB2 connected to a switch. (see below).
Would this mean I could not use this USB no longer for the M2 key E interface ?

@kayccc or @suhash : could you please perhaps give your input here? Thanks

Hi,

1, You can use any of USB HS port to combine with SS1 or SS2
2. Only USB0 port is for recovery mode. It can be used separately or shared with a SS port. No need to add a switch.
3. It depends on your M2 key E device request. I don’t see the reason of that.

Hi @Trumany ,
thanks for your input. In my concept I would like to use the HS ports 0 and 2 for temporary Recovery and interface with USB-MCUs( just to update the firmwares) respectively.
My experience with USB_SS is quite limited thats why I am not sure if can use like that. Please see below what I had in mind.
USB_SS0: USB_HS1 + USB_SS (this is the same as in the Xavier Nx)
USB_SS1: USB_HS0 + USB_SS1
USB_SS2: USB_HS2 + USB_SS2

Note1: Slide switch to chose between recovery or USB_SS_2 function.
Note2: 3-position digital switch( Dev 1 and Dev 2 are HS devices that only need to be flashed once in a while, and Dev3 is a SS device that).
Note3: By default the Dev3 is going to be the one always active.But if I would like to chose the Dev1 and Dev2 would it be possible to switch between SS operation to HS operation?
Note4: Here I would like to still use the USB0 for Recovery and when finished or not needed to be able to use as SS USB together with the USB_SS1.Is this possible?
Note5: this is the same method as in the Xavier NX. No issue here.

Much appreciated for your feedback!

Hi, we don’t have suggestion on this kind of external 3rd-party switch design. You can arrange that by use case and the switch design. For Orin NX side, you only need to follow the Design Guide as my comment #3.

Hi,
yes I realize that 3rd party switch designs are not Nvidias concern. But what I am asking is for your opinion on how to use the, for example, recovery USB0 port and still be able to use all 3 USBSS ports.
Since you are selling Jetson Orin Nx with three USB 3.2 ports you must have any kind of recommendation on how to deal with that.
What kind of switch is used or notin the end thats on the customer side.
Looking forward to your feedback.

Hi @Trumany
could you please provide some feedback? Thanks

Hi, as said previously, from NX side, you only need to follow the Design Guide. You can combine USB0 to any of USBSS port. No need to add a switch for USB0.

But what about if I need to use for example USB_SS_2 together with USB_HS_0(also used as USB Recovery) for the USB super speed / USB 3.2 in a M.2 key B device ?
When I want to use the USB recovery I would have to always remove the M.2 device.
Then I will need to separete them. Please see bellow .

For your use case, the better way is to use USB0 separately since only it can be used in recovery mode and use HUB to get other more ports.

@Trumany thanks fory our input. But this leaves for most cases the use from all 3 USBSSs what of questions since you will always need the USB0 for the recovery. Or is there any other method to perform “recovery” than through USB0?

No other way for recovery than USB0. It is also OK to combine USB0 to a USBSS port, but what I meant is a “better way”. You can use a switch to USB0 too, that depends on your use case. For NX, only need you to follow the detail design rules of the port.

Ok thanks. We will evaluate the option with a digital switch since we need both USB recovery and all the USBSSs.
Thanks for your prompt support!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.