Jetson TX1 GUI is not loading properly

Hi,

I power on my Jetson TX1, it displays the boot screen but then it does not display properly the desktop unity. It does not display the menu items/icons, it just flicker some files I have saved on Desktop and that´s all…

I am not even able to open with Ctrl + Alt + F1

Last time I worked on the TX1, everything seemed to work properly, I installed Tensorflow on a mounted SSD, where I had to create a swap file to be able to run some examples for transfer learning, but everything was ok then I powered off TX1 from command line and now I try to open it and BAM!

I am wondering if there was some update that was not done appropriately that makes it crash or if it is related with the swapfile i created.

Can you please help me to figure out what is going on? I really want to avoid to flash it again…

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I was finally able to open with Ctrl +Alt + F1

I run sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release and everything seems to be ok

also all my files are there and I am able to run from command-line to test tensorflow example

Still, I cannot load desktop

Is it normal that when i do sudo nvidia-xconfig , it says

nvidia-xconfig: command not found ???

I also tried sudo restart lightdm service, nothing fixed,

and then I went back to Ctrl + Alt +F1 and had the following displayed:

tegra210_mixer tegra210_mixer: ASoC: hw_params() failed: -22
tegra-snd-t210ref-mobile-rt565x sound.27 ASoC: PRE_PMU: TX1 Transmit-MIXER1-1 Receive event failed: -22

I do not understand nothing about this…

Also just to refer that there is no space left on device , just on the mounted SSD. Could it be the reason for which it crashes?

Can someone help me?

Sound would fail unless sound has been configured. I doubt the mixer failure has anything to do with video failure.

I think nvidia-xconfig has never shipped with the L4T on a TX1. Whether having it would even work I don’t know, but I suspect the application depends on a PCI video driver, and the TX1 video is not via PCI.

Running X and logging in does require creating some temp files and lock files. Running out of space would break that. There is a strong chance that the lack of disk space is the cause (this would break session handling if locks go to the storage which has nothing left on it).

thanks for your answer,

You think this situation is recoverable?

Shall I remove files from /tmp and /var/log folders?

For example, removing syslog.*.gz? or change how often they are created?

I am afraid not to move something critical for the system…

If i move everything of /tmp and /var/log to my mounted SSD?

Is there may be a command to define a folder in my external SSD for the temp files of the boot process?? Changing may be env variable TMPDIR? If so, how should I do it?

If you have other suggestions to free space, that would be very useful

I appreciate your help…

Thank you

Logs typically are rotated once daily. They can be an issue if they get large from some constant error message. In an emergency you could delete older logs with the numeric extension on their file name, e.g., kern.log is a running log, kern.log.1 is an old log…I’d just delete old logs first. If something is wrong existing logs might be useful to see what’s going on.

About disk space…what is causing it to fill up? What is the output of “df -H -T /”?

Realize that if lock file space is all that is needed it won’t take much in the way of file deletes to be able to log in (though you might still reboot first…and if something is constantly filling logs or disk space in other places, then it just might do it again before you get logged in).

Temp files for use at startup are part of init. I don’t know where to change that configuration, but I don’t think it would be as simple as changing a variable. For your individual user each application might use its own temp dir. Lock files are definitely in their own directory. More information on why space is filled up would be of use, along with any differences in a flash which may have been non-standard.

NOTE: gzip and bzip2 require some temp space to compress, but if you’ve freed up a bit of free space “bzip2 -9” of files which are large (but which you want to keep) is a good temporary measure.

Hi,

I free up space, but disk remains full…

I run df -H -T after moving log files to the mounted SSD and still I have full disk

df -H -T
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p1 ext4 15G 15G 0 100% /
none devtmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 2.1G 177k 2.1G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs tmpfs 2.1G 9.8M 2.1G 1% /run
tmpfs tmpfs 5.3M 4.1k 5.3M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs tmpfs 2.1G 0 2.1G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1 ext4 493G 20G 448G 5% /home/ubuntu/anixe
tmpfs tmpfs 419M 29k 419M 1% /run/user/1000

I also removed files from /var/backup folder

I tried to execute apt-get clean and I get the following error

sudo apt-get clean
[sudo] password for ubuntu:
E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/cache/apt/archives/
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

I move them to lock_bak files to “free” them, and I get this error again, new lock files have been created and i get this error…
Not sure if this is related

My purpose is to be able to free space but seems that no matter what i do, space remains the same and I do not understand why moving files makes no effect… may be there are not moved actually… could they be sym links? If so, where are the real ones stored?

May be freeing space on eMMC Flash works differently. Any suggestions?

Also what I saw, if that is of any help, current file for syslog is empty… and syslog.1 was written 3 days before… Same for kern.log… This is the last date I was able to see graphics in a proper way, I guess lack of space affects IO processes.

Any ideas/suggestions??

Thank you… !!

Hi,

Problem is solved. I explain how it was solved.

With du -sh * . I saw that /home was using more of the space. Running the command recursively inside Home, i found that the folder .cache/bazel was 3.3G , I moved this folder to my mounted SSD and GUI is loading properly now.

So , now the remaining thing would be to configure Bazel to cache files in a non-default folder directory, inside the mounted SSD.

Thanks for your overall help on this post, I appreciate :)