Jetson TX2 cannot enter recovery mode

It says
L4T BSP Information
R32 REVISION: 7.3

Error: probing the target board failed.
Make sure the target is connected through USB port an is in recovery mode.

I think as it is rebooting too early it can’t be detected by the host.

Sorry, what does that mean it is rebooting too early? How did you tell that?

What is your exact method to put that module into recovery mode?

A board won’t really “reboot” if it is really in recovery mode. For example, just put your fine module into recovery mode, put there for 10 min without doing anything, it will still be recovery mode after you come back for that 10 min…

I shared the uart log with you, after starting the kernel it doesn’t finish that before prompting a message that is going to boot in 5 sec

Plug the power cable → press the recovery button → press RST button while holding the recovery button → release everything after two seconds

Yes of course because the fine module is fine, but my problem is with the broken module that can’t get into recovery mode and it keeps rebooting…

Hi,

1. Sorry for one more question. What is the carrier board here? Is it TX2 devkit? Is there any sticker about when did that manufacture?

2. Do you mean if you just monitor the UART log, after you follow the method to put the board into recovery mode, it will directly start print boot log on uart?

BTW, I don’t remember TX2 devkit will auto-boot when plug in the power cable. Is that happened on your side?

I don’t find any date but the model is P2597 and there are also serial numbers if you want that too

booting and printing boot log are independent of putting the module into the recovery mode, it seems it doesn’t have any effect andit just keeps rebooting.

Sorry. Let me change the question to another way.

1. You know that when the board is in recovery mode, there won’t be any boot log from the uart log printed, right?

2. So in the fine module, you won’t see any boot log from uart when in RCM (recovery mode), but on those problematic module, even you put the board into recovery mode, it will just reboot and showing you the log in uart, is that correct?

3. Please also answer the qeustion here.

BTW, I don’t remember TX2 devkit will auto-boot when plug in the power cable. Is that happened on your side?

Yes I do. That what makes me say that I can’t put the module into recovery mode.

Yes exactly that.

It doesn’t auto-boot. When I plug in the power cable, nothing happens, I need to press the power button.

So is this a typo? You should press power button instead of RST in below step, right? As there is no auto-boot.

Plug the power cable → press the recovery button → press RST button while holding the recovery button → release everything after two seconds

Not really, that was when the module was rebooting. I relaced RST with power when the module is off.

So the situation is like if you :

plug in power cable → press and hold recover button → press PWR button and release PWR (REC is still holded) → release REC button.

And it will start to boot (log showing from uart)? If so, does that happen rigth after you press PWR button? Or it comes out until you release REC button?

Exactly!

Yes, I start getting uart log right after I press the power button as if the REC is not pressed.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Do you have other carrier board there that can test ? I guess not, but still need to confirm.

Correct, I don’t have another carried board but it works fine for the other module, which has a different part number. So I’m not sure it could be a hardware problem!

Please share the S/N of your TX2 modules (problematic module) and also the carrier board S/N.

Not working modules:
S/N 1424221019423
S/N 1424121105043
Carrier board :
S/N 0420319069661

Changed topic to “Jetson TX2 cannot enter recovery mode”

Hi, do you mean the two issue modules can’t enter recovery mode with P2597 board from the beginning? If so, it might mean the modules have some problem.

Hello,
Not really, I used to flash them with the same P2597 quite a long time ago (+1.5 years) but they haven’t been flashed since then.