Jetson TX2 fails while flashing OS in recovery mode

We have bought almost 500 TX2 boards. So far we have tested 350 boards. The issue is while flashing OS in recovery mode, the process stuck with the USB error. It does not go any further and the flashing fails.

Which JetPack version you’re reflashing?
The failure rate?
Could you try with other USB cable?

Out of 500, we have 142 faulty boards. We tried different USB cables but the issue persist.

The boards are from the same lot of deliveries. But some work and others don’t.

Can we get the replacement?

Rinkesh

Which JetPack version?
Not sure if that’s related with Jetson TX2 PCN 206440 DRAMeMMC

To get helpful answers, you’d better clarify your env first.

1. TX2 boards: “TX2 production module” or “TX2 production module + 3rd party carrier board”
    if YES, product info.
  2. JetPack version

Hi,

Please provide us with the info above as well as the serial number of board that fails and flashing logs from the host side.

Some reminder here.

TX2 has been published for quite long time so there would be component change PCN. With such PCN, different DRAM or emmc would be in use. Though they are all “TX2 modules”.

In such situation, some new TX2 modules may not be flashed by old BSP without patch. For example, you may not able to flash a TX2 module manufactured in 2022 with rel-28.1 which was released in 2018…

Thus, please reply the questions asked above first…

Hi,

It is combination of “TX2 production module + 3rd party carrier board”
JetPack version we are using is 4.2.1.

The question is that 60% of the TX2 modules purchased in the same batch are working but not the remaining 40%. How it could be an issue of BSP?

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
We have a production line on hold, so please help to resolve this issue or replace boards asap.

Rinkesh Patel

Please find attached flashing logs

TX2FalshingLogs (21.6 KB)

Please find attached logs as requested.

Hi,

I understand that you want this to be resolved ASAP.

But please reply my questions here first. Even if you change a way to report this issue, it would still be me to reply you. So let’s just directly doing the check here.

1. Do you have TX2 developer kit on your side or not? If so, could you flash this module on devkit with jetpack4.6.1

2. If you don’t have TX2 devkit, are you able to flash your custom board + these modules with jetpack4.6.1?

3. If you still cannot flash those modules with new jetpack, could you share the UART log during the flash process?

Also, if you want to take a picture of the module, please share the one that has serial number…

I already sent all these information. Not sure why you didn’t receive. Attached again.

It is combination of “TX2 production module + 3rd party carrier board”
JetPack version we are using is 4.2.1.

The question is that 60% of the TX2 modules purchased in the same batch are working but not the remaining 40%. How it could be an issue of BSP?

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
We have a production line on hold, so please help to resolve this issue or replace boards asap.

Hi,

Your reply does not answer any of my question here… Are you able to understand these questions?

Could you read the comments carefully? My question is different from any of previous questions here…

Also, your photo does not have serial number… And your log is not from UART either…

Hi,

Are you asking about his?

But please reply my questions here first. Even if you change a way to report this issue, it would still be me to reply you. So just directly doing the check here. And if you want this issue to be fixed ASAP, please also try to reply my questions ASAP. Thanks.

1. Do you have TX2 developer kit on your side or not? If so, could you flash this module on with jetpack4.6.1-> I don’t have developer kit

2. If you don’t have TX2 devkit, are you able to flash your custom board + these modules with jetpack4.6.1? → We don’t have development team to try with jetpack 4.6.1

3. If you still cannot flash those modules with new jetpack, could you share the UART log during the flash process? → I provided you the flashing logs from current setup.

Please confirm if you are able to see the logs I have attached as text file.

Rinkesh

Hi Rinkesh,

Yes, i can see your reply. The problem here is the log you provided is not what we need.

We need the UART log during the flash process running. Not the host log you are attaching.

If you are not the development team, please ask your software engineer to dump the UART log. He/she would know what I am talking about.

Also, what I am asking here is for debug purpose. I am not asking you to upgrade the jetpack version forever.
Please be aware that nothing will be fixed if you cannot do or try anything here.

And in case you really don’t know what is UART log …

Here is an example to dump UART log on TX2 devkit.

I see, let me work with the developer and get back to you

During the meantime, please also check if your TX2 is affected by the PCN here.

https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/downloads#?search=PCN&tx=$product,jetson_tx2

Honestly, your jeptack4.2.1 is already an old BSP.
The purpose to try new release is to clarify if you hit PCN upgrade problem.

Please discuss with your development team or directly ask them to reply the topic here. We already took 2 hours to help you understand what I am trying to say… I hope this could be prevented in follow-up discussion…

I think you need to improve your language.
Why do some of your TX2s ordered in the same package work and not others with jetpack 4.2.1???
Don’t you make all boards equal? Your team never answered this question.

I will get the developer on board and make sure don’t waste your time now onwards.

Sorry that I am not a native English speaker, so may not tell those things well.

What I am doing here is trying to fix your issue as you said you want to get done ASAP, so I need to clarify if this is a problem from PCN first.

Please understand that you didn’t provide us any helpful information yet (only know your BSP version). No valid log and your picture does not have serial number either.
Serial number is different on each module.
You can share 2 serial numbers here. One from problematic module while the other one is from your “okay” module so that I can check with our internal team if they are different kinds.

TX2 has been released for 4 years so it is common that some components may change. Not able to expect the same emmc or DRAM always got manufactured from those vendors.