Latest NVIDIA update causes issues with the PRIME profile

Hi there,

I just now updated the NVIDIA drivers and CUDA toolkit to the latest version; I believe these are the 515.65.01 and the 11.7, respectively for Ubuntu 22.04 “Jammy Jellyfish”. See below for the nvidia-smi output.

The command nvcc -V also works correctly returning the following:

nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
Copyright (c) 2005-2022 NVIDIA Corporation
Built on Tue_Mar__8_18:18:20_PST_2022
Cuda compilation tools, release 11.6, V11.6.124
Build cuda_11.6.r11.6/compiler.31057947_0

However, for some reason, form my NVIDIA X Server Settings (see bottom) app is now missing the Prime profile tab.
I have to mention the update didn’t go completely smooth, so I went back to my default Nouveau display drivers, purged the Toolkit and Drivers as per CUDA Installation Guide for Linux and, finally, re-installed everything according to https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads?target_os=Linux&target_arch=x86_64&Distribution=Ubuntu&target_version=22.04&target_type=deb_network.

Is there any way I can fix this without having to repeat the whole process, granted it will even work?
Thanks in advance!

NVIDIA X Server Settings window

The prime profile tab is an Ubuntu feature. They added it to nvidia-settings. You can revert the nvidia-settings back to the version that shipped with Ubuntu to get it back.

My question now is how I can do so?

apt policy nvidia-settings

This will list the versions available in the repositories you have added. Look for the version in the ubuntu.com archive.

sudo apt install nvidia-settings=VERSION_FROM_UBUNTU

Where VERSION_FROM_UBUNTU is the version number from the Ubuntu archive you saw from policy.

You will probably want to apt-mark hold nvidia-settings after this so it doesn’t upgrade to the Nvidia repository version again.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @conky_vs_julian, it worked fine. One last question, after the update I got two NVIDIA Nsight Compute icons.

I believe one is the old version for the tool??? The latest specify the date/version instance (2022.2.1). How can I get rid of the old one, or either one of the two?

See below

Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.