Linux 460 Driver, Kubuntu 20.04 RTX 3070 not booting

A few weeks back I built a new desktop PC and installed Kubuntu 20.04. Everything booted fine and I was able to install the Nvidia 460 driver to support the RTX 3070 card that I had installed. Fast forward to this morning and when I boot the desktop im greeted with a blinking cursor instead of the Kubuntu login UI.

I ALT+F2 to get to a TTY and do a few checked, uninstall the driver, reinstall and everything I can think of to try and get the desktop to boot correctly.

When i check lshw I did notice some odd things. For example:

*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: NVIDIA Corporation
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:2d:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0

The display is UNCLAIMED, the Product is simply set to NVidia Corp and not the actual product name and the configuration property does not refer to the driver version being used.

I keep Kubuntu up to date and my only guess in that an update last night has caused this issue. Im not technical enough to dig really deep into this but im happy to work with anyone who might be willing to lend a hand.

As far as the hardware is concerned, this is a dual boot system and the Windows 10 partition work fine with the 3070 and Nvidia drivers so im leaning more towards a software issue.

Thanks

1 Like

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (270.5 KB)

BTW, you’re not the first one showing up with that problem, indeed some Ubuntu update broke things but the root cause is yet unknown. If possible, share the snippet of /var/log/dpkg.log from the time you last installed updates.

Yeah this issue certainly seems cutting edge after I exhausted my googling.

I’ve attached the snipped from the log file that relates to the system update yesterday when the desktop was working.

I hope it means more to you than it does to me!

Thanks

15-03-21-update.log (8.6 KB)

According to the dpkg log, only the kernel was updated. Can you boot into an ealier kernel in grub menu?

This is bizarre… I googled how I might boot into an earlier version and it looked like I have to hold shift. I don’t usually get the classic grub screen because this AMD motherboard is new and it overrides features im used to. Anyhow, I select to boot into Kubuntu from the AMD boot loader and hold the shift key… a few seconds later I can see the default KDE login screen! I’ve been restarting this machine and messing about for almost 6 hours with no success and im not sure what has changes but im no longer having the issue?..

I checked the lshw and this is the new output:

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: NVIDIA Corporation
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:2d:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0

This time the driver is listed in the configuration property. The only thing I changed before I rebooted was to quickly remove the nomodeset from the /etc/default/grub config as I was using this property to get into the OS at a minimum to gain access to the KDE UI (for posting logs etc to this website).

Im glad this issue has disappeared but im uneasy that I didn’t change anything. Is there some other logs that I can provide you to help us understand what may have changed and potentially help others facing the same issue?

Thanks

Now that’s really most odd. Maybe even just some grub misconfig. Please create a new nvidia-bug-report.log though I don’t expect anything sheding light onto this.

I agree its really odd! I’ve only come across one other person on askubuntu that had a very similar issue but no resolution.

He also had the UNCLAIMED display and no driver listed in the configuration property. Oh! and the blinking cursor. All the same issues I had. Anyhow, I’ve attached the latest log for your attention if it helps. I’ll stick about if you need more from me to help this issue. Who knows, it may just stop working again? :)

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (376.8 KB)

Please read: info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration' about the GRUB_TIMEOUT* and GRUB_HIDDEN* variables and crosscheck the settings in /etc/default/grub.

If you modify them you need to run sudo update-grub.

Edit: Added GRUB_TIMEOUT*

If one wants to be able see the boot menu after holding Shift key, GRUB_TIMEOUT must be set to greater then zero (say, GRUB_TIMEOUT=5). Otherwise, other boot options (say, Windows) can not be activated if needed. – user3804598 Jan 2 '17 at 21:11

Quoted from:

1 Like

Thank you Mart! Very useful info!

I have a very similar Issue.
This morning i got a kernel update and installed it. After that my system freezes just on boot before login screen. I can’t enter TTY with ctrl+alt+f4. I can’t boot in recovery mode or with nomodeset etc.
I tried to reinstall Ubuntu and encountered the same issue.
So i reinstalled it again but this time without nvidia drivers and now i can boot the system. Right after installing nvidia drivers via “sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall” the same error happens.
It is not possible for me to even enter the terminal or recovery mode.
I tried it with Ubuntu 20.04 and 20.10, graphics card is also RTX 3070.

I’m experience a very similar issue with a GTX 1660. Was a solution found?

1 Like

Same here, after a kernel and driver update for Ubuntu 20.10, only a static underscore awaits me at boot. Updated to the newest Ubuntu version now (21.04) but still the same issue. As soon as I install the 460 driver package, the greeter won’t appear. The 390 driver package works, but as I need CUDA the system wants to install the 460 again when I select the nvidia-cuda-toolkit package. Anything I can do to help?

5.11.0-18-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 7 14:22:03 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Edit: It does not work with displays which are connected via Display Port, when I only use displays that are connected via DVI and HDMI, I’ve got no problems at all…

Same issue with 460 as well (black screen + white cursor). I don’t think this is a problem with Ubuntu’s packaging since I encountered the problem after a manual install as well. I also did a clean install of Ubuntu 21.04 (was using 20.04 before) and I got the same issue (Ubuntu 21.04 installer installed 460.80). So I’ve encountered the issue for both manual and Ubuntu provided installs.

I’m almost convinced that something is broken with 460.80.

PS: I’ve also connected the GPU to the display port

Hi,

There is an issue with Display port on driver 460.80 and higher.
Only solution is either to downgrade drivers to 460.73 or connect screens with HDMI/DVI .

Issue is being investigated by Nvidia : 465.24.02 page fault - #74 by todd.freed

1 Like

Hi i use 20.04 ubuntu, Geforce RTX 3070 gpu,

cannot able to recognize the nvidia driver model itself, can you help me solve this?. runing the below command gives that output. and i also attach the bug report also here.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (135.0 KB)

ubuntu-drivers devices
== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000010DEd0000249Dsv00001462sd000012E9bc03sc00i00
vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
manual_install: True
driver : nvidia-driver-470-server - distro non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-510-server - distro non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-510 - distro non-free recommended
driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

@durga.sastra - run

sudo prime-select nvidia