Llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 256 bits) used even though I have nvidia-435 proprietary driver installed (ubuntu 18.04)

I saw lots of similar issues as mine on the forum but none of them helped me out so I figured I’d be the one to post too.
I don’t know what really happened. I didn’t do any updates manually or so, and when I woke up plugged in my monitor it wasn’t working. Then I checked what driver was my laptop using and I saw that it wasn’t an NVIDIA driver but at the graphics it was showing this: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 256 bits)

Running nvidia-smi on the terminal outputs:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Info: Secure boot is disabled & Switchable graphics options is disabled.

I’ve been trying for more than 12 hours to fix this and I don’t know what to do anymore. I even purged nvidia and installed it again (Software&Updates) and it didnt do anything. So, if you could try and help me out I’d really appreciate it.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 on a Lenovo Legion Y545, NVIDIA 1660 TI.

Below you can find the nvidia-bug-report:

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (2.1 MB)

@generix could you please help me with this?

Having exactly the same issue here with the same version of Ubuntu and Nvidia driver.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated!

@janinejl I fixed it with the help of a good guy from askubuntu. As always maintainers forgot to fix the driver for the new hwe kernel. Downgrade to a lower version of the kernel and it will work for you too. But don’t use nvidia-435, that seems to be obsolete. Use nvidia-440.

Have a good one.

Hi! I have managed to downgrade my kernel on Ubuntu 18.04 to kernel 5.3 by editing the file /etc/default/grub and do upgrade-grub. However, after I reboot with kernel 5.3, the system freeze when booting, have you encountered similar issue??

It turned out that kernel 5.4 can work along with driver 440. So what I have ended up with is reinstalled driver 440 with kernel 5.4, I also installed CUDA 10.1, cause I need to use pytorch, everything has come into place right now.

So you’re all good to go now?

Just in case other people need it, here is the link of the post:

There is no detailed answer given yet, but you can find a chat room there in the comments and you can see the progress I made with the help of some askubuntu guys.

Be careful tho, systems may vary and you may end up ruining something. Proceed with caution.

1 Like

Yes! Everything is working fine by now, no more complains. Thanks a bunch for your help also!