m4000 vs the m6000 in a Linux environment running maya, m4000 issues

Hi everyone, seems my original post didn’t well…post I guess. I’m trying to run Maya 2019 in a Linux system. I have a m4000 card which runs everything fine in windows. Linux on the other hand, not so much. It won’t run Maya “viewport 2.0” and it won’t touch opengl functions without a crash. Now the certified list shows the m4000 fine in windows for not Linux. It does show the m6000 working for both. Now that list isant the end all be all of cards that run Maya. So I’m wondering what the difference in build, I guess, between the m6000 and m4000 to keeps the m4000 from functioning in a Linux environment with Maya.

Thanks.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.15 MB)

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting .gz file to your post. Hovering the mouse over an existing post of yours will reveal a paperclip icon.
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1043347/announcements/attaching-files-to-forum-topics-posts/[/url]

OK, I attached said bug report.

Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate it.

Setup looks fine. What errors show up with maya, also when started in terminal?

In Maya

// Warning: file: /usr/autodesk/maya/scripts/startup/resetModelEditor.mel line 46: The renderer (‘vp2Renderer’) is not a registered renderer. Renderer will not be set. //
// Warning: file: /usr/autodesk/maya/scripts/startup/resetModelEditor.mel line 46: The renderer (‘vp2Renderer’) is not a registered renderer. Renderer will not be set. //
// Error: line 1: The GPU adaptor of the transform to finalize is null //
// Error: line 1: Failed to apply color management settings on file open: Failed to finalize the color transform… //
// Viewport 2.0 floating point render target is turned off.
// Error: line 1: The GPU adaptor of the transform to finalize is null //
// Error: line 1: Failed to finalize the color transform. //
// untitled //
commandPort -securityWarning -name commandportDefault;
onSetCurrentLayout “Maya Classic”;
// AbcBullet v1.0 using Alembic 1.7.5 (built Feb 7 2018 15:59:45) //
// Warning: file: /home/animator/maya/2019/prefs/filePathEditorRegistryPrefs.mel line 4: filePathEditor: Attribute ‘aiImage.filename’ is invalid or is not designated ‘usedAsFilename’. //
// Warning: file: /home/animator/maya/2019/prefs/filePathEditorRegistryPrefs.mel line 5: filePathEditor: Attribute ‘aiPhotometricLight.aiFilename’ is invalid or is not designated ‘usedAsFilename’. //
// Warning: file: /home/animator/maya/2019/prefs/filePathEditorRegistryPrefs.mel line 6: filePathEditor: Attribute ‘aiStandIn.dso’ is invalid or is not designated ‘usedAsFilename’. //
// Warning: file: /home/animator/maya/2019/prefs/filePathEditorRegistryPrefs.mel line 7: filePathEditor: Attribute ‘aiVolume.filename’ is invalid or is not designated ‘usedAsFilename’. //
// cgfxShader 4.5 for Maya 201900.0 (Dec 11 2018) //
// AbcExport v1.0 using Alembic 1.7.5 (built Feb 7 2018 15:59:45) //
evalDeferred “shaderBallRendererMenuUpdate”;
// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute ‘aiStandIn.dso’ and label ‘Standin’ have been saved already. //
// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute ‘aiVolume.filename’ and label ‘VDB’ have been saved already. //
// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute ‘aiImage.filename’ and label ‘Image’ have been saved already. //
// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute ‘aiPhotometricLight.aiFilename’ and label ‘IES’ have been saved already. //
libai.so already loaded
import arnold
// Successfully imported python module ‘arnold’ //
import mtoa
// Successfully imported python module ‘mtoa’ //
import mtoa.cmds.registerArnoldRenderer;mtoa.cmds.registerArnoldRenderer.registerArnoldRenderer()
// Successfully registered renderer ‘arnold’ //
// AbcImport v1.0 using Alembic 1.7.5 (built Feb 7 2018 15:59:45) //
updateRendererUI;
+++++++ Turtle for Maya registered successfully ++++++
updateRendererUI;

In Terminal

VP2 Error : Failed to initialize graphics device.
Error: The GPU adaptor of the transform to finalize is null
Error: Failed to apply color management settings on file open: Failed to finalize the color transform…
Error: The GPU adaptor of the transform to finalize is null
Error: Failed to finalize the color transform.
QXcbClipboard: SelectionRequest too old
Unable to execute igInitialize.mel.Unable to execute xgen.mel.
API error detected in plugins/mtoa/extension/ExtensionsManager.cpp at line 655
: (kFailure): Unexpected Internal Failure

API error detected in plugins/mtoa/extension/ExtensionsManager.cpp at line 655
: (kFailure): Unexpected Internal Failure
Turtle Renderer 2019.0.0
Running Turtle startup script

Thanks again

Something I just ran across was this.

"Maya 2017, Ubuntu 16/17, NVIDIA P4000 = Startup crash

In case someone gets here via googling- as of today, 17 May 2017, the only driver version that seems to work w/ Ubuntu 16 or 17 is the v 375.xx series. If you load anything ‘newer’ there are problems creating OpenCL contexts, and Maya will crash. Kudos to David…"

I’m wondering if it could be a similar problem. I might try to install the older driver if all else fails before installing CentOS and giving everything a go on it.

Check this out:
[url][SOLVED] Autodesk Maya on linux Mint - Page 2 - Linux Mint Forums

Hhhmmmmm, ok. I have the latest driver installed. So maybe I will load the earlier version discussed in the 2017 discussion, see if it works. Then reinstall the latest driver and see if making the system change makes Maya recognise the card. Couldn’t hurt.

If that fails I will try a reinstall of Maya following the guide provided in the link you posted. Could be a bad install.

What still has me curious is that they obviously had a large number of cards to test at Autodesk, looking at the certified hardware list, so why are only a small number from the windows list on the Linux list? It’s just eating at my curiosity.

Thanks again for the help so far. I will post my findings/experience.

Testing costs money, Linux means little money so there’s little testing.
Looking at the compatibility chart, RHEL+driver 430.26 is working so I rather suspect a problem with the system layout, i.e. the opengl libs.

Ok, no idea why but for some reason following the instructions for installation on KDE NEON from LinuxHint or from the instructions linked to earlier in the thread from the mint forums did not work but after installing MINT everything went without a hitch. The Arnold beta render window, viewport 2, everything. Loves the driver and the GPU.

Thanks @generix for the help and pointing me towards MINT.The calibration for my Cintiq screen was also spot on right from install of MINT.

WIN/WIN