More than 140% of performance loss with drivers superior to 470 series

Fedora 35
Ryzen 3700x
Nvidia Geforce 1650 Super

I have serious performance issues with all Linux Nvidia drivers above 470.xx.
470.xx series drivers performance on Dota 2 dashboard it’s 144 fps or superior.
That is with any 470.xx series driver. Nvidia binary or rpmfusion packages.

The performance with 495.xx and 510.xx drivers it’s 25 fps or lower.
Again with any 495.xx or 510.xx series drivers tested. Nvidia binary or rpmfusion.

I don’t have to change anything else to see that fps drop.
Just install 510.54 (for instance), start desktop environment, start the game and fps go all way down (even less that 20 fps) and cpu usage 100%.
Exit game and desktop, install 470.103.1 (for instance), start desktop and game, and fps jumps to 144 with vsync and spikes of more than 200 fps without vsync.
It happens with Gnome, Plasma, Xfce, Openbox o any other DE or window manager I have tried so far.
Happens with Fedora 34 or Fedora 35, DisplayPort or DVI, booting with EFI or Bios, enabled or disabled compiled shaders (Dota and/or Steam), Vulkan or OpenGL.

More than a year with this issue and every 495 or 510 series driver I’ve tried exhibits the same performance drop. And every 470 series works flawlessly.

There are other games and applications where this issue repeats, but so far Dota it’s the one where the biggest performance drop happens.

On another PC with the Fedora 35 too and same GPU but Intel I5 processor the performance drop its also noticeable but can manage to run at 60pfs with 100% GPU usage in dashboard.

I don’t know what else to try. Out of ideas.

Regards.
Luis M. Ruiz
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (360.5 KB)

3 Likes