Motherboard support for Tesla T4

I have an ASUS Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151 and I’m wondering what the easiest way to verify if it does or does not support a 16GB graphics card. If it is supported, does anyone know what settings I would need to adjust in Bios to enable the card?

Hi

That’s a Consumer grade motherboard you’ve listed, so I’m assuming you’ll be installing it inside a Tower chassis and not a rack mount chassis. The Tesla T4 (that you mentioned in the heading) is a datacenter grade GPU and is Passively cooled, so is completely unsuitable for a Tower chassis.

If you need a 16GB GPU to go with the motherboard you’ve listed (assuming in a Tower chassis), a more suitable choice would be an RTX 5000 (Turing) or P5000 (Pascal), as these are both Actively cooled. For around the same sort of money, you might then also consider a TITAN RTX (Turing / 24GB), however this is a Prosumer level GPU not a Professional one (like the RTX 5000 / P5000). It depends on your use case as to whether this is suitable.

Regarding BIOS changes, you shouldn’t need to make any. However, if your system doesn’t boot, then check out the "Above 4G Decoding" setting.

Regards

MG

1 Like

I’ve got a cooling solution for the T4 that seems to be working fairly well for temps (using a thermaltake p3 case with a GPU tray and a couple be:Quiet fans). I can use other GPUs as well, but I’d like to occasionally do some testing with a T4 as that’s the hardware platform I’m targeting, and it would be nice to have one in my desktop.

I see options for ‘Above 4G …’ on a co-worker’s motherboard but don’t seem to see a similar setting on the ASUS Prime Z390-A.

Thanks for the help MrGRID, I’m convinced after a little more googling for ‘Above 4G Decoding’ that as you say the card should ‘just work’ with this motherboard. I’m going to try testing with a 2070 I have (8GB) and suspect that will work out of the box, which should rule out bios or motherboard compatibility as the source of my issues.

kellensunderlandvirtgpu - How did it work out? Did the T4 work and did your cooling solution hold up?