Nano Camera ISP and H264 encoder limits

Hi,

I’d like to ask for a little clarification on Jetson Nano’s CSI receiver, camera ISP and hardware h.264/h.265 encoder limitations:

1. Can I connect 2 or more different (i.e. using different driver) cameras to Nano’s CSI connectors (e.g. one RPi V2 camera and one LI-IMX477-MIPI-M12)?
  2. If the answer to the above is yes, can those cameras all use ISP processor with individual configuration (camera_overrides.isp) files?
  3. Again, if yes, what are the limitations? I know about this 1,400 MP/s limit (link), but any others?
  4. (unrelated to above) The hardware encoder is limited to 4k30 or 4x1080p30 or 9x720p30. However, are those limits flexible, i.e. can I do e.g. 1080p60 + 4x720p30 at the same time?
  5. Are there any other feasible h.264/h.265 encoding options available if I wanted to extend above limits, e.g. using GPU acceleration?

Sorry for so many questions, I hope that what I meant is clear; I’m planning a multi-camera project and would like to know what is possible on nano :-)

1. No problem to support 2 cameras, for 2 above you may need to get support from camera partner to help.
  2. For the tuning parameter need help on partner too.
  3. Should be none but for the multiple sensors support may have higher CPU loading.
  4. For 1080p@60 + 4x720p@30 may have frame drop I think.
  5. Maybe cuda but I don’t know if there’s ready make for it.
1 Like

Thanks for reply Shane. To clarify on first two and support from camera partner, would it still be required if I already have drivers and tuning files for both cameras?
I.e. I have

• driver and camera_overrides.isp for camera 1, and
  • driver and camera_overrides.isp for camera 2

And cameras 1 and 2 work fine separately, but I want to make them operate at the same time?

Rename them to .isp

Like e3326_front_P5V27C.isp for below board.

module0 {
			badge = "e3326_front_P5V27C";
			position = "rear";
			orientation = "1";
			drivernode0 {
1 Like

I see. So the .isp files can be renamed to match individual modules. Thanks :-)