New Quadro FX Cards for 2010 Mac Pro 12-core Westmere? When is a successor for the 4800 coming?

Hi,

I’m going to buy the new the new Mac Pro I mentioned above, I spoke some people on IBC (Amsterdam) at the Nvidia Stand who told me the new quadro fx 5000 and 6000 are soon coming to the Mac Pro aswell. Does anyone know more about this? I don’t want to spend 1,5K on the 4800 and a month later the new ones are also available for mac.

I’d really appreciate of someone/employee of Nvidia can tell me more about these developments.

Greets

Daniel

Hi,

I’m going to buy the new the new Mac Pro I mentioned above, I spoke some people on IBC (Amsterdam) at the Nvidia Stand who told me the new quadro fx 5000 and 6000 are soon coming to the Mac Pro aswell. Does anyone know more about this? I don’t want to spend 1,5K on the 4800 and a month later the new ones are also available for mac.

I’d really appreciate of someone/employee of Nvidia can tell me more about these developments.

Greets

Daniel

There is a web interview with an Nvidia person saying the fermi Quadro 4000 is definitely OS X bound, probably in October, but I have seen no evidence of the 5000 or 6000 beyond that same interview saying it was possible. I would hold off a month if you can, and see if the Q4000 not only ships but is a BTO option on the 2010 Pro. I do not want to have to pay for an ATi card and then have to remove it. If you are desperate you might try to pick up a 285 Mac version somewhere as for the most part it is faster than the 4800, but this does not have minidisplayport (neither has Q4800), so watch out if you are getting new Apple monitor.

There is a web interview with an Nvidia person saying the fermi Quadro 4000 is definitely OS X bound, probably in October, but I have seen no evidence of the 5000 or 6000 beyond that same interview saying it was possible. I would hold off a month if you can, and see if the Q4000 not only ships but is a BTO option on the 2010 Pro. I do not want to have to pay for an ATi card and then have to remove it. If you are desperate you might try to pick up a 285 Mac version somewhere as for the most part it is faster than the 4800, but this does not have minidisplayport (neither has Q4800), so watch out if you are getting new Apple monitor.

Hello, I am in the same situation.

Need the highest end card for heavy duty software (including Autodesk Smoke for Mac).

Nvidia, please please please, give us the 6000 and 5000 as an option. We understand that you are working on 4000, but we really really need 6000 or at the very least 5000 for running smoke for mac, which completely takes advantage of and is performance-dependent on your cards’ architecture.

People setting up high end systems running things like smoke for mac, etc, would not mind paying extra for 6000, so there IS a market for that.

Thanks.

Hello, I am in the same situation.

Need the highest end card for heavy duty software (including Autodesk Smoke for Mac).

Nvidia, please please please, give us the 6000 and 5000 as an option. We understand that you are working on 4000, but we really really need 6000 or at the very least 5000 for running smoke for mac, which completely takes advantage of and is performance-dependent on your cards’ architecture.

People setting up high end systems running things like smoke for mac, etc, would not mind paying extra for 6000, so there IS a market for that.

Thanks.

Yes! This is true. 6000 and 5000 needed for Autodesk Smoke for OSX and Blackmagic/Davinci Resolve for OS X… need Tesla too.