Newbie question: After flashing, Jetpack not connecting from the host to the Jetson using SSH

Following instructions here: https://github.com/dusty-nv/jetson-inference#digits-workflow

At the end of the process of running Jetpack, described in this paragraph from the above link:
“After flashing, the Jetson will reboot and if attached to an HDMI display, will boot up to the Ubuntu desktop. After this, JetPack connects to the Jetson from the host via SSH to install additional packages to the Jetson, like the ARM aarch64 builds of CUDA Toolkit, cuDNN, and TensorRT. For JetPack to be able to reach the Jetson via SSH, the host PC should be networked to the Jetson via Ethernet. This can be accomplished by running an Ethernet cable directly from the host to the Jetson, or by connecting both devices to a router or switch — the JetPack GUI will ask you to confirm which networking scenario is being used. See the JetPack Install Guide for the full directions for installing JetPack and flashing Jetson.”

The Jetson reboots, Ubuntu desktop comes up, but it does not look like Jetpack is connecting from the host to the Jetson using SSH, and additional packages are not being installed.

The Post Installation window on the host seems to get stuck finding the IP address of the Jetson. My system is set up with host connected to internet via wifi and connected to Jetson via ethernet cable.

Third try running through the flash process a prompt came allowing either 1, retry to find the IP address, 2 to enter manually.

If I check Network wired setting on the Jetson I see hardware address but no IP address. If I use wifi I can get an IP address but entering that does not appear to work.

WiFi is not supported. Use wired. It is in fact the wired side through which the address request goes, so you won’t see an address other than MAC until the DHCP request completes. No wire, no address.

I am using ethernet cable straight from my host system to the Jetson. However, I am using wireless from the host system to the router. The process seems to work through flashing of the Jetson. The Jetson reboots but then the wired connection from host to Jetson is not found.

So to clarify, is wireless connection from host to router okay, or must it be wired as well? It appears to be the host to Jetson connection that is the issue? I only mentioned wireless on the Jetson because the wired connection is not coming up after flashing.

I am using the second option on the Network Layout screen, but my host system is an Intel NUC so I have it connected via wireless to the cable router and then direct connection its ethernet port to the Jetson. Is that a no go?

WiFi not part of the Jetson-to-router should be fine (and your Jetson-to-PC is the router, so this is a valid setup).

You then have two things to determine: First, was a dotted-decimal address assigned (format something like 192.168.1.2)? Second, if assigned, was there a named address associated with the dotted-decimal address, e.g., “tegra-ubuntu”? DHCP logs will tell you about the former. “/etc/hosts” might tell you about the latter, but it depends on how the router setup works (I’m not sure on how JetPack does that, I use a Fedora host).

If you have your host booted up and running normally, and if “dmesg --follow” is supported (older distributions don’t support “–follow”) run “dmesg --follow” and monitor for changes. If “–follow” is not supported, run dmesg now and see what the “dmesg | tail -n 30” is…later when you compare to “dmesg --tail -n 30” you’ll see anything new.

Now boot the Jetson and see if dmesg shows a DHCP request as the Jetson boots. If DHCP shows up, then the Jetson is working correctly and you probably can see the dotted-decimal format address. If you have this address, try to ping it. If you can ping, try ssh to either ubuntu@ or nvidia@. This address would be what you’d need to tell JetPack about to finish installing.

If that address is there, and if you don’t expect your host to assign other addresses (such as it being a router for multiple devices), then you could add the address in “/etc/hosts” to have the named-address work (tradition is “tegra-ubuntu”).

If the address is missing, then we might have to look at the JetPack logs to see what went wrong.