Nsight debugger crashes my graphics application on startup

I have an OpenGL application that I would like to debug with the Nsights graphics debugger. Unfortunately it directly crashes on startup.

I am using glfw and glad for creating the window context. It seems like Nsight crashes somewhere when creating the window context. The application works fine on its own.

I am using Visual Studio Community 2017 v15.5.2 and Nsight v5.4

My Graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with driver version 388.59

I have solely downloaded Nsight for debugging my application so I have no further experience with it. Could there be a problem with some configuration? I would be thankful for any kind of input. Also I can provide more information and specs if needed.

Best regards
Luka

Hi luka.l,

I’m sorry for the problem you met.
Can you provide more information please?

• OS info
  • Did the issue happen on other platforms? such as WIN10 RS2, WIN1O RS3 platforms.
  • Can we have your sample please then we can identify the issue quickly.

Thanks,
Letitia

Hi Letitia

My OS is Windows 10 Home v1709 Build: 16299.125
I have only access to this version of Windows so I have not tested it on any other platforms.
With sample I assume you mean the graphics project? If so, here is the GitHub link: https://github.com/Haeri/PhotonBox

It is a VS Studio project for an OpenGl application. To run it successfully, the FreeType dll is required from here:
https://github.com/ubawurinna/freetype-windows-binaries/blob/master/win64/freetype271MT.dll

Let me know if any more info is needed.
Regards,
Luka

Hi luka.l,

I tested your sample with an internal nsight build on WIN10 RS3 platform, no crash, it worked fine with nsight
Nsight 5.4 doesn’t support WIN10 RS3 platform, please wait for the release build and then check it again

Thanks,
Letitia

Hi Letitia

Thank you very much for the quick reply.
Can you give a rough estimation on when you think the new version will be released? I need to hand in the project on the 31st of January and I would like to plan if I should wait for the update or invest time in creating my own debugging methods.

Best regards and happy holidays!
Luka

Hi luka.l,

I’m afraid that I’m not sure when the new version will be released.

Happy Xmas!
Letitia

Same problem here. Same card, OS, IDE, and framework. Nsight crashes when calling glfwCreateWindow. Doesn’t seem to have issues with SDL applications…

Hi NateVM,

I’m sorry for the problem you met, can you provide more information please?

• Did the issue also happen on WIN10 RS2 platform?
  • Did the issue also happen with DX samples? such as DX SDK samples.
  • Can we have your sample please? then we can identify the issue quickly.

Thanks,
Letitia

Hi Letitia,

Like luka.l, I don’t have access to a WIN10 RS2 platform. I’m running on windows 10 build 1709 build 16299.125. Running nsight version 5.5.0.18014.

I tried out a few DX samples from the DirectX Graphics Samples github found here https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectX-Graphics-Samples, and was able to use the nsight profiler successfully.

The crash can be reproduced by attempting to profile OpenGL on any of the official GLFW samples available here: GitHub - glfw/glfw: A multi-platform library for OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan, window and input. Specifically, the crash occurs on the GLFW3 → Samples → simple target, which is just a rotating triangle.

Thanks,
Nate

Hi NateVM,

I tried the sample locally, no crash, it ran smoothly with nsight.
My configuration as below which seemed the same with yours.

• nsight: 5.5.0.18014
  • GLFW samples, GLFW3 → Samples → simple
  • Visual studio: VS2017

Can you please check it again?

Thanks,
Letitia