Nsight 4.7 doesn't work on Windows 10 with OpenGL

After update of OS to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 Nsight doesn’t work anymore. I used 4.5 before at Win 8.1 and everything goes fine, so after update of OS I also have update for Nsight to 4.7, because I see there Windows 10 support in description. But unfortunately it doesn’t work.

It runs but hangs during frame capture. It is started work after I complete “clean installation” of the latest Nvidia Driver.
The previous GPU driver was installed during Windows update (8.1 → 10), and Nsight doesn’t starts with it.
I use it to debug OpenGL 4.3, but after app launch (all widgets with stats works), it is hang on frame capture.

I tried to use Nsight with DX11 and it is works. Then I tried it with an another OpenGL samples (NeHe lesson №4) and it is hanging during launching again.

Releated bug report (but no one cares about it):
https://developer.nvidia.com/node/233316/submission/905429

I almost in way to switch on the Code XL and AMD.

Thanks

Hi hacenator,

I can’t access the url you post, but something you should try:

1. uninstall your current drv and install the latest drv in nvidia.com, don’t use the drv post by Win10’s automatic update, that’s old
  2. uninstall Nsight and reinstall

The sample from NeHe lesson No4 is blocked by my IT, but I am sure the other OGL samples like [GitHub - g-truc/ogl-samples: The OpenGL Samples Pack] and [https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/OpenGLSamples] works fine in my Win10 and Nsight 4.7.

Thanks
An

Hi AYan,

Yes of course I already tried. Also with “clean” driver installation, and with reboot after every step. Nothing helps :(

I think need to clarify - I use an notebook with Optimus. As I know Nsight a long time didn’t support Optimus, so looks like it is again a problem with Win 10. Also it (Nsight and the same app) works without any issues on a Desktop PC at work.

Thanks

Hi hacenator,

If your machine is Optimus machine, I think you still can use Nsight:
- disable iGPU in BIOS, if you don’t have one
- connect a monitor to your external display port which generally assigned to dGPU, and run Nsight and your sample on that monitor

Run Nsight on Optimus machine needs some trick work, but you still can jump over it, I think.

Thanks
An

Hi Ayan,

I used your advices:

• unfortunately here is no option in BIOS to disable iGPU on my notebook;
  • doesn’t helps, everything as before - stuck at frame capture.

I created a minidump of my app during the stuck. It’s here:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B6Wd0PTFdDGGTmw2WEZZVlozY3c&export=download

Nsight version 4.7.0.15181

In disassembly it’s looks like a continious loop in Nvda.Graphics.Interception.dll

P.S. I seen there is a new version of Nsight 5.0, I’ll try to check it today later

UPDATED:
Hehe. 5.0 crashed during the frame capture 3/3. Here is minidumps created by Nsight:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Wd0PTFdDGGdFBac1ZnZ1BJT2c/view?usp=sharing

Hi hacenator,

Let us focus on Nsight 5.0, since it’s the latest release.

I just checked the dmp files, seems it shows the same root cause. could you please try these?

• do you config the working directory of nsight properly?
  • do you call ExitProcess() somewhere in your codes?
  • the crash callstack shows your project.exe just call ‘user32!MessageBoxW’ and lead to the crash, could you just comment it out somewhere in your codes?
  • for more detail investigation, could you share us your run-able sample, and we can see more

Thanks
An

Hi AYan,

Ok, 5.0.

Just in case I sent you my additional contacts via PM

Thanks

Hi,

The dmp of Bloom show different crash callstack as your previous one. Seems the Bloom with Nsight on your machine just run to some unexpected path, and I am 100% sure the Bloom with Nsight works as expected in my Win10 box.

Could you try on a clean Win10 box?

on the other hand, could you try to replace ‘$(LocalDebuggerWorkingDirectory)’ to some real path which matches your sample’s requirement?

Thanks
An

Hi AYan,

Could you try on a clean Win10 box?
Actually when I tried Nsight first time Win10 was clean :) Clean as possible after the 8.1 → 10 update.
Unfortunately I have no any PC for such experiments. And anyway it’s not a proper solution.

replace ‘$(LocalDebuggerWorkingDirectory)’
The same result. Crash after SwapBuffers(). As I see path absolutely not related to the problem. Because - app running properly, all this Nsight stuff like a fps counter and loading graph also displayed properly, and sample looks good, so - all data is available.
But when we press “capture” - app will crash.

Hi hacenator,

I just got a repro locally which is exactly the same as yours. Seems that’s due to your laptop is using Microsoft Hybrid Graphics [similar to Nvidia Optimus], Nsight don’t support such kind of iGPU&dGPU combination right now.

Thanks
An

Hi AYan,

Thank you for information. I see Microsoft Hybrid Graphics new feature which appeared in Win 10.
Do you plan to support Microsoft Hybrid Graphics in future?

Hi hacenator,

This feature is under consideration for a future release.

Thanks
An

Hello, I have the same problem.
I am on Windows 10 x64, with two GeForce 560 TIs in SLI (also tried without SLI) and trying to debug an OpenGL 4.4 app in Visual Studio 2015 with NSight 5.0 RC1. My driver is 355.98.

The HUD overlay is not there when i run “Graphics Debugging”. I recently updated from Windows 7 x64, in which the same NSight version was working properly.

The HUD overlay is not there when i run “Graphics Debugging”
I seen the same issue in Win 7 on my desktop PC. but HUD appeared after I changed Nsight options (in Graphics section): “Force present” to true and “Frame Profiler” to enable.

Hi,

“Force present” should be set in case you are coding for some message driven rendering sample, like CAD software, it will not refresh the window until you do some I/O in it, on the other hand, game software will keep rendering no matter you touch it or not.

Thanks
An

Hi AYan,

Nsight 5.0 Final crash right after startup. So support still not presented, or it’s a new issue?

Hi hacenator,

If you mean the support for MSFT Hybrid Graphics on Win10 in Nsight, I am sorry to say that we don’ support that yet.

Thanks
An

Hello.
I am having the same issue when capturing the frame with win 10 laptop and my colleague who have a win 7 laptop doesn’t have this problem.
I’m anxiously waiting for the support for this =D

Thanks in advance.