nsight does not start - workspace selection window freezes

Hey,

I deseperately trying to launch nsight or nvvp on my MacBook Pro with Mojave with CUDA toolkit 10.1.243

I have installed the adoptopenjdk-8 and are trying to launch either of the two tools with:

./nsight -vm /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/adoptopenjdk-8.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java

It seems to be loading normally and a window pops up where I’m asked to select my workspace, however, everything on this window is greyed out and I can’t click anything.
No error messages on the console.

Has anyone an idea what might be the issue?

Hi I’m with the same issue , macOS 10.14.6 (18G87)
can’t select workspace

any ideas anyone?

Same thing. Installed latest cuda, followed by installation fo JDK 12. Now when I open Nsight the workspace selection window freezes.

Was able to install CUDA 9.2 and run nsight from there

Removing every Java installation and installing Java 8.151 solves the problem

is there any instructions for solving the problem?

I was finally able to fix it, the trick was in not setting the -vm option but instead changing the JAVA_HOME.
Also downgrade to CUDA 10.1, without update (so the original release)

For me it works also now with the amazon-corretto java, so no need for oracle java:

nano ~/.bash_profile

add:
export java_home=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/amazon-corretto-8.jdk/Contents/Home

source ~/.bash_profile

/usr/local/cuda/bin/nvvp (! without -vm)

Hope that helps

Hi @sklingel2 @yauheni, I tried both of your ideas but both still result in the nvvp window grayed out and frozen on my mac. I’m running the following java version (amazon corretto 8)
openjdk version “1.8.0_252”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Corretto-8.252.09.1 (build 1.8.0_252-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Corretto-8.252.09.1 (build 25.252-b09, mixed mode)

I also installed nvvp from the nvidia mac tools website and followed the installation accordingly: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-cuda-toolkit-developer-tools-mac-hosts#nvvp

Any ideas why this might be happening?

I have the same issue when trying 8u144-b01 (Zulu: 8.23.0.3) on Big Sur. I tried every solution above, but it still hangs in the workspace selection window. Any updates?

1 Like

I am having the same issue as @martinrf. I have an Apple M1 with Big Sur OS. I followed the install instructions here: NVIDIA CUDA Toolkit - Developer Tools for macOS - CUDA Toolkit 11.7 | NVIDIA Developer. When I try to launch nvvp the program hangs in the workspace selection window. Here are the details of my JDK:

openjdk version "1.8.0_144"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu 8.23.0.3-macosx) (build 1.8.0_144-b01)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (Zulu 8.23.0.3-macosx) (build 25.144-b01, mixed mode)
1 Like