NSight Graphic 2022.5.0 Application crash with use of borderline usage of imageless framebuffer (Vulkan)

Hello there,

We recently added the support of imageless framebuffers to our Vulkan rendering engine. From this moment, it was impossible for us to use NSight Graphics to debug a frame. The interception DLL was crashing our application when we submit any command buffer.

We find out this crash was due to a “wierd” usage of the imageless framebuffer extension.
We were using vkCmdBeginRenderPass with a framebuffer created without the VK_FRAMEBUFFER_CREATE_IMAGELESS_BIT flag. But the VkRenderPassBeginInfo still contained a VkRenderPassAttachmentBeginInfo in its pNext chain. The VkRenderPassAttachmentBeginInfo::attachmentCount member was always 0 with not imageless framebuffers, so according to the Vulkan spec (and the validation layer), it’s a valid use: https://registry.khronos.org/vulkan/specs/1.3-extensions/man/html/VkRenderPassBeginInfo.html#VUID-VkRenderPassBeginInfo-framebuffer-03207

With imageless framebuffers, everything works perfectly.

Is it a known issue and it’s planned to be fixed ?
By our side, we “fixed” this issue by removing the VkRenderPassAttachmentBeginInfo of the pNext chain of VkRenderPassBeginInfo with not imageless framebuffer.

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for using Nsight Graphics and for providing your feedback. Sorry you ran into this issue. I will ping the engineering team and get back to you on your question as to whether this is a known issue and if it is not, then I will create a tracking issue in our database for the engineering team to disposition.
Regards,

Hello,
Just wanted to let you know that I did file a bug on your behalf so the engineering team is investigating this issue and may be able to turn around a fix in the next major Nsight Graphics software update.
Regards,

Hello,

Good to know.
By our side the crash didn’t reappeared since we found a workaround.
If the engineering team needs more context to reproduce this crash, I could send a bit of time to create a minimal reproductible sample.

Regards,

Hello,
Yes that would be helpful. You can send the repro to myself at dwoods@nvidia.com.
Regards,

Hello,
A few months ago you reported an issue regarding getting a crash with the use of imageless framebuffer. I wanted to let you know that this issue has been addressed in Nsight Graphics 2022.6. You can pick up our latest release Nsight Graphics 2022.6.1 released on 12/21/2022 to try this out. Thanks again for reporting your issue, and if you have any further comments, don’t hesitate to send in more feedback.

Regards,