Nvbuf_utils: Could not get EGL display connection

Hi I’ve been trying to connect my csi camera (Seeed Studio IMX219 module ) to my JetBot I’ve been following the guide on GitHub - JetsonHacksNano/CSI-Camera: Simple example of using a CSI-Camera (like the Raspberry Pi Version 2 camera) with the NVIDIA Jetson Developer Kit but everytime I try to run the commands I get this error : nvbuf_utils: Could not get EGL display connection

any clue as to what I’m doing wrong?

I’m trying to connect it through SSH

Is there a display running on the Jetson? If so, then you need to export the “DISPLAY” variable before starting the program. If you are running remotely without the Jetson itself performing the display, then you have to (A) enable forwarding in the ssh command (e.g., either of “ssy -Y ...” or “ssh -X ...”), and (B) have the host PC set up with the EGL support.

What people often do not realize is that when you remote display from the Jetson to the host PC, that it is the PC’s GPU doing the graphics work (or CUDA), and thus the Jetson is no longer doing this, so whatever requirements there are, this then falls on the host PC.

An alternative is to run a virtual X server on the Jetson, and then export the “DISPLAY” environment variable to it, without using ssh forwarding. The application won’t care that the server is virtual and that there is no monitor, it’ll still work. Better yet, you can then use remote desktop software from any computer to view the Jetson’s virtual desktop if you so desire. All the work will be from the Jetson’s GPU. Sorry, I have no recommendations on a particular virtual desktop server/client.

1 Like

Hi, I figured it won’t work on headless mode but couldn’t understand why so thanks a lot for the explanation. I had to move to head mode to make it work, everything’s working fine now. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.