Nvidia driver 495 won't work in Ubuntu 20.04 with my GeForce GT 750M

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (208.4 KB)

Hello All,

I have installed a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 on a new SSD drive. The OS works perfectly with the default drivers. When trying to update the graphics card driver to use Nvidia for my GeForce GT 750M, the system won’t load the GUI desktop anymore.

I have tried installing the drivers both from ‘Additional Drivers’ in ‘Software & updates’ as well as running commands:

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-xxx

I have tried with drivers: 470, 465, 418 and 390. They all return an error: snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC2D0: Unable to sync register. Also, they won’t load the GUI desktop.

The driver 495 is able to load the GUI desktop but ‘nvidia-smi’ and ‘nvidia-settings’ report errors saying the driver is not loaded.

Thank you very much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[ 0.000000] secureboot: Secure boot enabled

Disable secure boot in BIOS.

[ 9.496517] kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M GPU installed in this system is
NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 470.xx Legacy drivers. Please
NVRM: visit Unix Drivers | NVIDIA for more
NVRM: information. The 495.44 NVIDIA dri

Purge the 495 driver: sudo apt purge nvidia* libnvidia*

Then install the 470 series driver though Software & Updates. The 390 is too old and the 495 does not support your gpu any more.

Make sure nouveau is blacklisted:

Reboot.

1 Like

bugreport2.log.gz (216.1 KB)

Hi Mart,

Thanks for the fast answer. I have followed your indications, but the same problem persists.

Secure boot was disabled in BIOS but not in UEFI. Now I have disabled the validation with ‘mokutil --disable-validation’. And the bug report now reports secureBoot disabled. Also ‘mokutil --sb-state’ reports:

SecureBoot enabled
SecureBoot validation is disabled in shim

Then I purged nvidia with:

sudo apt purge nvidia* libnvidia*
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt autoremove

I blacklisted noveau as well:

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0

Software & updates doesn’t show an option for driver 470, so I manually installed with ‘sudo apt install nvidia-driver-470’ & reboot. Now the GUI desktop doesn’t show up and I have to do everything from Command Line. See attached new Bug Report.

Let me know how to proceed next, thanks!

This is the error shown when booting. GUI Desktop fails, so I login into command mode. To reply in this forum I save the log file, purge again, reboot, and running in default settings.

I guess my question at this point is whether this is a driver bug (given it must be working for other people running 20.04) or something that would be better approached via e.g. https://ubuntuforums.org/ :thinking:

A valid point and if I go to Ubuntu forums, most likely they will reply “that’s an nvidia issue, go to Nvidia forums”.

I do believe it’s likely something that can be solved here, with the information from the bug report. Reason is, that this is a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 installation. Everything is set up with out of the box updates. I haven’t customized anything, so Nvidia driver should work with default settings.

Ok, well…
The nivida driver is installed fine. It tries to load, but then it cannot failing with this message:

[ 37.465977] NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x23:0x65:1204)
[ 37.466147] NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 0

The point where the boot fails is with another sound driver:

[ 168.652840] snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC2D0: Unable to sync register 0x7f0800. -5
[ 168.653222] snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC2D0: HDMI: invalid ELD buf size -1
[ 168.653562] snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC2D0: HDMI: invalid ELD buf size -1
[ 168.653903] snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC2D0: HDMI: invalid ELD buf size -1
[ 168.654242] snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC2D0: HDMI: invalid ELD buf size -1

The nvidia sound driver is handled by snd_hda_intel.

I’m no expert there but I think there are pci resource allocation issues here…

Dez 21 16:37:36 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[999]: (II) NVIDIA GLX Module 470.86 Tue Oct 26 21:51:04 UTC 2021
Dez 21 16:37:36 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[999]: (II) NVIDIA: The X server supports PRIME Render Offload.
Dez 21 16:38:10 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[999]: (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA GPU at PCI:1:0:0. Please
Dez 21 16:38:10 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[999]: (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): check your system’s kernel log for additional error
Dez 21 16:38:10 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[999]: (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): messages and refer to Chapter 8: Common Problems in the
Dez 21 16:38:10 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[999]: (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): README for additional information.
Dez 21 16:38:10 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[999]: (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
Dez 21 16:38:10 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[999]: (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failing initialization of X screen

[ 0.345651] pci 0000:01:00.0: can’t claim BAR 6 [mem 0xfff80000-0xffffffff pref]: no compatible bridge window

Also there are a bunch of ACPI warnings about resource conflicts.

This BIOS version is really old, check for an update.
And try to boot with the kernel parameter pci=realloc.

I don’t think you need to purge and re-install every time.
With sudo prime select intel you could switch to the integrated gpu and do some work after a reboot.

I don’t think they will - no distro forum will direct you to immediately ask the hardware component manufacturer.

Possibly, but this is like asking the key fob manufacturer why your car doesn’t start.

The thread was originally about your GPU not working with drivers that don’t support it. You then did a

which should provide you with the correct drivers. Despite this,

which means that “something” isn’t working within your Ubuntu setup despite the same distribution and packages working for many other people. The best people to be able to guide you with an Ubuntu issue are people who are also running Ubuntu, i.e. the Ubuntu community.

However, a quick search for this error message:

leads to a post on this very forum:

which mirrors something in your own journal entries:

Dec 21 17:43:31 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P kernel: [   37.465977] NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x23:0x65:1204)
Dec 21 17:43:31 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P kernel: [   37.466147] NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 0
Dec 21 17:43:33 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P kernel: [   39.308749] NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x24:0xffff:1220)
Dec 21 17:43:33 monoxgg-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y410P kernel: [   39.308848] NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 0

and reinforces the advice already given:

(Which would not be an NVIDIA issue.)

You say that a lot… undercover nvidia employee? ;-)

I do a fair bit of volunteer support across a number of fora, and it always amazes me how people will ask questions in the wrong place or just scatter-gun them literally everywhere

Reducing duplication of effort is, if nothing else, just being polite.

And sometimes, or even most times, they just don’t know better. Or like in this case… one thing leads to another, and then I refuse to refuse help.
Like in this case… most likely broken bios. Now if you go to the manufacturer of the mobo, they’ll tell you 100% not to support linux. Ubuntu, or even kernel devs, may point back to the manufacturer… Poor guy stuck in a loop - not helped.

1 Like

True. Very true.

(Although also, this is why you buy hardware from companies that support Linux. :wink:)

I suspect the nvidia gpu is simply broken, please double-check by installing Windows.
The “BAR 6” issue is a red herring, it’s a very common bios bug on many notebooks, doesn’t have any bad consequences.

Well definitely coming here seems like the right place to start. The conclusion from you 3 seems to update the BIOS. Only with tyour help I’m able to tell that this might not be an Nvidia issue but rather a BIOS/Ubuntu issue.

I will try the rellocation resources, installing Windows to also install the default Lenovo driver management systems so that it can safely update some drivers. Try upgrading/downgrading the audio driver. And finally do the BIOS update. I will then report back with the results.

Thanks!

Well it seems the card is indeed broken. I installed Windows as Dual Boot. Installed the Lenovo apps to manage and update drivers. The Windows Manager reports the driver has an issue. I guess I will have to stick to the default Intel driver.

Also I never updated the BIOS. I’m quite hesitant to touch that and preffer to let it be as it is now.

Thanks guys for the help.