Nvidia Driver Bug causes VKD3D Resident Evil & AC Valhalla to corrupt shaders & crash

Hello,
As per the title, for some odd reason on RE2/RE3/RE4 if you don’t cap the frame rate to 60, the shaders would corrupt either immediately or after some play time and always cause the application to crash.
On AC Valhalla running it above 30fps it would instantly crash, easiest to reproduce - basically run the game, don’t cap fps to 30, run benchmark, wait to load → game crashes(the logs indicate very similar error message).
Additional info this seems to be linked to libnvidia-glsomething.so and it seems that this issue is not present on 510 driver, but from 515 all the way up to 530 are all affected.

steam-952060.log (1.8 MB)
steam-2050650.log (12.9 MB)

2 Likes

Having exactly this issue with RE4 on a 2080ti using VKD3D commit 7b561f3 and driver version 530.41.03. Additionally, RE4 seems to be using an excessive amount of VRAM before crashing, even when graphics settings are lowered. Artifacting increases in severity a few moments before it crashes.

Locking the framerate to 60 does alleviate the issue.

steam-2050650.log (14.4 MB)

This could be also related to the issue I’m having with Monster Hunter Rise, which uses the same RE engine as the recent RE titles. These issues have been reported in Monster Hunter Rise (1446780) · Issue #1347 · HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton · GitHub

You can also find the same issue at and Monster Hunter Rise (1446780) · Issue #5495 · ValveSoftware/Proton · GitHub

You’re right, this is likely the same bug. Does downgrading your driver version to 515.86.01 solve the issue for you on Monster Hunter?

I did not bother downgrade as I’m running a bleeding edge Arch distro on my desktop and downgrading can cause trouble in the long run. I have a Steam Deck that runs the game okay so I have been using that for the game. However, someone in the issue tried it and seems to have it working okay

When it comes to Valhalla, it seems like it locks up when the GPU hits >90% GPU usage.
That’s why limiting FPS to 30 works. You can also lower your graphics settlinga to keep it below 90%.

All drivers above 510 are affected, Vulkan Dev too
The 510 drivers works great tho '.

Please fix this Nvidia.

1 Like

If you alt-tab right out of the game right before Eivor enters the world when starting a game, AC valhalla won’t freeze.
It may freeze later on tho’, if it does, it will show a frozen screen where you first did the alt-tab.
I’m guessing it’s a race condition or memory corruption somewhere.

Try the same with monster hunter/resident evil and see if it “helps”.

You must run the game in full screen, not borderless.

This seems to have been fixed in 535.54.03 driver as I haven’t experienced any crashes in 3hours of gameplay so far with unlocked FPS in RE4 remake.

I’m on 535.54.03, and I have observed the same thing. I think it’s fixed now.

1 Like

On 545.29.02, the wild artifacting and vertex explosions are back for Resident Evil 4 Remake. Had to force the game to go down to 2K@60 from 4K@60 (on the 2080 Ti with reasonable settings) in order to keep the game from freezing (and in some cases locking-up my desktop).

Also, the performance seems odd because even at 2K the Steam overlay reports the game as running at about 45-ish frames? Which definitely doesn’t seem right since I’ve been able to play the past RE games fine at 4K@60 frames and, additionally I’m running RE4 with FSR2, so something seems very wrong to me.

EDIT: Still happens even at 2K later in the game; this is pretty ridiculous

@Nek0-san
Thank you for the recent feedback.
Could you please revert to driver 535.54.03 and confirm issue is no longer reproducible.

That version isn’t available as a package for my distro (Gentoo) anymore

I am unable to reproduce the artifacting in RE4 Remake, driver version is 545.29.02, linux-zen 6.6 kernel, KDE Plasma.

I can’t even get the RE4 remake to launch anymore on a Maxwell GPU. Not sure if it’s the newest version of Proton GE or Nvidia drivers.

Does the same thing happen with Proton Experimental ? That’s how I run RE4 Remake and even installed the DLSS mod.

Yep. I get a D3D error 6. The game window will continue to work if you click it until you attempt to go in-game or in the settings menu.

Can you share an nvidia bug report and proton log if possible, maybe they will hint what is causing this(maybe it’s affecting certain gpus? Like for example on Ampere VKD3D has mesh shaders bugged and have to be disabled with VKD3D_DISABLE_EXTENSIONS=VK_EXT_mesh_shader so that trees,foliage,etc is rendered correctly - affects robocop rogue city, remnant 2)

has anyone have found a fix for re4 remake ?