NVIDIA driver not load on Ubuntu

I’m facing a problem to get NVIDIA drivers running on my laptop. I’m using Ubuntu 20.04 and my device have a MX150 GPU.

Here is what happenning:
I made an Ubuntu clean install and setup the drivers using apt (nvidia-driver-440). After this, I reboot my laptop and it was all working good. After shutdown my machine I received the following error running nvidia-smi:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Would you guys help me solving this ?

nvidia-bug-report.log (1.1 MB)

The gpu is not visible to the system anymore, please check if it is set to disabled in bios.
Unrelated, for stability you should set the kernel parameter
pci=noaer
to keep you wifi from freaking out.

Thanks for the quick reply.

There’s no any option for disable my gpu from BIOS setup. I already check my hardware integrity using the manufacturer’s diagnostic. No problem was found.

I got the drivers working again after purge all NVIDIA packages and reinstall the driver manually but after shutdown my machine the system can’t find my gpu again.

Please post the output of
grep 10de /lib/udev/rules.d/*

/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTRS{vendor}=="0x10de", DRIVERS=="nvidia", TAG+="seat", TAG+="master-of-seat"

No issue with that.
Please shut down the computer, remove power supply and batteries. Then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge the mainboard.
Reconnect power adapter, boot and check if
sudo lspci -d10de:*
shows your gpu again.

BTW, you should update your bios.

I did what you suggested and update the BIOS too. It was really out of date.
After update my machine started up with the driver loaded but after a shut down we’re going back to the same error I reported.

Seems like we have a problem to load the gpu on system startup.

Eventually after many reboots it bring back to life but last only until the next shutdown.

Sounds like a hardware issue. To reset nvram on dell, please shut down the computer, the press and hold the power button for 30 seconds (>25 <40) and check if the nvidia gpu stays alive after rebooting.

Unfortunately, I still can’t get my gpu working.

This problem makes no sense. After a fresh install everything works fine and, then when I shutdown it stop working.

I’ll try restore my laptop with the OEM image and see whats happen.

Thanks for help me.

Hello!

I also have a problem with loading drivers on Ubuntu. Several days ago it worked well, but I used my laptop without the second screen. Now I’m trying to connect the second screen and found that driver could not be load.
Report in the attachment:
nvidia-bug-report.log (114.8 KB)

I would be grateful for the help.

Fully driver reinstall helped :(