NVIDIA RTX 4060 not working with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Hi,

I have a new DELL G15 Laptop with GeForce RTX 4060. vvcaI installed Ubuntu 20.04 and tried to install the NVIDIA driver using “sudo ubuntu-drivers install”. After the installation, I rebooted and ran nvidia-smi and got an error
“NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running”.

I have upgraded the kernel to latest 6.8.4 as well. My HDMI, MIC and other IOs (Connected to Graphic card) are also not working.

What can I do for this?

Thanks in advance for your help

@generix Could you please help. Below are some of the results.

dell@ptdell:~$ sudo prime-select query
nvidia
dell@ptdell:~$ dkms status
nvidia, 535.161.07: added
dell@ptdell:~$ grep -r nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/* /lib/modprobe.d/*
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf:blacklist nvidiafb
/lib/modprobe.d/nvidia-kms.conf:# This file was generated by nvidia-prime
/lib/modprobe.d/nvidia-kms.conf:options nvidia-drm modeset=1
dell@ptdell:~$ uname -a
Linux ptdell 6.8.4-060804-generic #202404041833 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Apr 4 18:46:22 UTC 2024 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My Main OS is ubuntu 20.04 LTS, however I have updated my kernel to 6.8.4 as the default kernel 5.15 is not working with 4060 RTX. Please refer the attached nvidia bug report.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (132.2 KB)

The mainline kernel will not work with Ubuntu 20.04.
Best would be to update to a newer Ubuntu version.
If not possible (as liquorix also dropped 20.04), the only place I found where to get a new kernel for 20.04 is this:

Besides an updated kernel with compatible header package, also firmware is needed for the intel gpu and sound. You might check if the packages for 22.04 are new enough, otherwise, you’ll have to fetch them manually from kernel.org
http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/restricted/f/firmware-sof/firmware-sof-signed_2.0-1ubuntu4.7_all.deb
https://packages.ubuntu.com/de/jammy-updates/linux-firmware

1 Like

Thank you @generix. It worked however it seems the system is not adapting 20.04LTS well. I switched to 22.04LTS and everything seems running fine.