OpenVDB sequences

Hi,

I just read this thread from early last year and I am wondering if there have been any updates on loading VDB sequences, like those generated by Houdini or Blender, into Omniverse.

I followed the video in this documentation and was able to load a single .vdb file into a Flow NanoVDB Emitter, which is great, but it is obviously not intended as a way to load and playback external VDB sequences.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Thank you,

-K

Hi K and anyone else following this good question!

Our developers responded to your post on this on Discord (link). I’ll paste here for those that are not on our Official Discord server (invite here):

"A similar discussion was previously had here:

Flow rendering today is largely emissive in its behavior, so interaction with lights is very limited.
However, for VDBs we now have Path Trace Volumes, which do support full light interaction. Here is a video showing how to set it up:

Yes, Flow NanoVDB emitter was not intended for playback, but intended as general input to the Flow simulation.
The path traced volumes path is more appropriate for playback, plus enables higher quality lighting on smoke.
A bit further down after the linked message addresses VDB sequences. The best solution today is to use USD timesamples to vary the VDB asset path by animation time."

Cheers,
Edmar

P.S. We are constantly adding new tutorials and aggregate them all in the “learn” tab on the launcher (also see: NVIDIA Omniverse Tutorials | NVIDIA Developer).

he / him | LinkedIn | Discord ID: Prof E#2041
Omniverse: “A New Era of Collaboration and Simulation” (video)
Omniverse Create’s latest features show & tell: Twitch livestream.
As seen in VentureBeat | Physics Showcase

Omniverse Resources:
Omniverse | Documentation | Tech Requirements | Videos | Roadmap | Twitter | Discord | Twitch

PLEASE NOTE: If you are reporting a bug/issue, please provide OS, GPU, GPU Driver, the version of the app, and full log file (if applicable). For crashes, please zip and provide a link to your logs → C:\Users\ [YOUR NAME] \ .nvidia-omniverse\logs