Power supply considerations for Jetson Nano Developer Kit

I wonder about the power consumption of Jetson Nano. When i read the datasheet of Nano module, i saw that power consumption changes between 5 and 25 W. Under what condition does it consume 25 W? Is it possible to use all peripherals at the same time to consume 25 W? Of course i will not use all peripherals at the same time but i want to learn typical power consumption of module (while using only 1 PCI-e, 2 UARTs etc.) I could not find any information about power consumed by each interface on NANO?
Best regards.

Hi,

I have a problem to choose a good micro usb power supply. I try one which is recommended for rapserry pie (5V/3000mA : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07DPL7YDP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but it doesn’t work.

The green light turns on but nothing appears on the screen. I try many combinations, just with the HDMI cable plus with (and without) a basic USB optical mouse and the screen still stays black.

I don’t found any recommendation on the Nvidia website for a good micro usb power supply for France electric standards.

Would anyone have an idea ?

I already send back a first Jetson Nano to Nvidia because i thought it doesn’t work properly… But i see exactly the same behavior…

Hello, I met this problem look like this guy but it comes even when I un-plugged all the connection (HDMI, USB, Ethernet…), the green light still off after about more than 30 seconds.
My Jetson nano still working correctly with barrel power (5V-4A) but when I tried to supply via micro-usb with power bank, RPI power supply and smartphone adapter (all of them are 5V-2.5A or 2A).
Additionally, When the green light off, Fan connected with Nano still working.

I’m running my jetson off both GPIO pins. I measured them at 5.53V and 5.6V before connecting the pins. With the jetson connected and running i am measuring 5.48V and 5.58V when idling. I’m powering a 7" touchscreen, keyboard, mouse and infrared camera.

When running detectnet-camera.py and streaming live video while powering all peripherals jtop says it’s pulling 10,000 mW. At 5V that’s only 2A

… in short, unless i am just being naive, running more than 5V through the GPIO pins (5.4V, 5.5V, 5.6V) doesn’t seem to be doing anything bad

I am trying to use a mobile charger rated 5V 3A. I have put a jumper in J48 pins and using a USB cable with barrel jack on one end with pin which is 2.5 mm and fits correctly on the nano. But when I switch on the power, the green power LED comes on for a second and goes off. what could be the problem?

Figured it out to be a power requirement issue. The adapter is not able to supply even 2.5 amps. Will look for a better power supply.

I ended up getting the Adafruit power supply recommended by NVIDIA and it has worked flawlessly.

My new Jetson Nano Barrel jack doesn’t work, the board doesn’t haveJ48 Jumper pins to select the Power Jack above.
Any help, please?

The J48 pins changed location in the newest revision (B01), iirc.

Page 3 or 6 of the User Guide should show the correct location of the jumper.

Hi,

I use this power supply for Jetson Nano Dev-kit:

Thanks,

Hello i have a Question,

is the Jetson Nano support the SDI input Interface ?

Is there any advantage of using barrel jack power supply over micro-usb ?
If I use barrel jack, wouldn’t it free up the Micro USB port for some other use?
Any recommended barrel jack power supplies other than the HardKernel ones?

Barrel jack has the ability to deliver more power than the USB. USB itself has standards on power consumption, and the barrel jack does not have that limitation.

The micro-OTG port on a Nano is not wired to act as a host. On most systems you would be correct, and this is a limitation of the Nano (you could probably create a custom carrier board able to do both, but definitely the dev kit does not have the ability to go into host mode for that port).

I have no recommendations for the power supply :(

2 Likes

How do I get to power the nano via the GPIO pins. Whats the power source? I’m trying to connect mine from and inverter, need yur expert assistance. Thanks

If the Nano has power and is booted, then GPIO should work if configured. If you are asking if a GPIO pin can be used as a power source, then I think the answer is “no”. GPIO itself will have a power rail internal to the module, and possibly go through a level shifter on the carrier board before reaching external pins.

What a thread! One thing I haven’t seen covered is the POE J38 pinout. I understand from the user guide that any POE voltage provided on the RJ45 port will be available on the four J38 pins on the board. But what’s not clear to me is whether I can plug in a 24V passive POE cable and not fry the board.

I expect I would need to regulate the voltage off the POE pins to 5V and then connect that to the expansion interface J41. But will that 24V passive POE input fry it before I get to regulate it? Maybe passive POE is bad but 802.3af is okay? Any guidance here?

I use PSU of PC (5V & 10A) for powering Jetson nano (through barrel ). this my rig for powering Jetson nano and embedded inthe autonomous tractor.

Jetson nano-----PSU PC (use 5V)-----UPS

I believe I know the answer to this question but I am not 100% sure so I wanted to ask someone more knowledgeable then I am.

I have several charges, most of them below the required specs for the AC adapter. I do have one adapter that is 5V with 5A output. I am going to say this would be bad pairing but I just wanted to make sure.

i can confirm this issue, with apple keyboard jetson nano wont but, after add other usb keyboard, its working.